Pets (dogs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheryl

I know that this will be the subject of many negative comments about pets but I just have to ask.  Not all but many pet (dog) owners that we have come across the past two years on the road and folks that feel that everyone shares the same feelings about his pet that he feels.  Don't get me wrong we had a little dog before we boated but gave the dog up and we did not feel a boat was fair to him.  And I don't think that dogs don't belong on rv's, my only problem is
1. Why do they let little poo pee on our rv site?
2. Why do people  leave little poo in the rv and think that it never barks while they are gone?
3. Why do some think that the rules of leashes and picking up after the dog after it leaves his stuff in others rv sites is not a rule for that owner?
As I said before, we used to have a dog and think they are great but FOLKS look at yourself and see if you fit in the list above and think about someone besides yourself.  Others park in the resort, rv park that you do.
Well I have opened the door but i think that it is time someone did.
Just wondering why?
Cheryl

Cheryl,

Many RVers with dogs are respectful of other RVers, but some are not.

We don't currently have a dog, but have had one aboard an RV and a boat for many years. We always tried to respectful of others. Many campgrounds and marinas provide a place to "walk" doggie and those that don't have clearly posted signs asking folks to pick up after FIDO.

Tom I agree that by far more respect others than hose that don't, just trying to wake a few folks up I guess.
Cheryl

Cheryl,

You make a valid point. We just got back into camping but regularly we have our Golden Retriever that
is our fifth child. Most of the campgrounds we go to have very nice
designated pet areas with bags that we can use to clean up. Of course
our dog is very mellow and getting older so it is easier but we try to respect
others and follow the rules where we camp. I think the real key as with all
things is the Golden Rule which I wish a few more people would remember.

For those times that the owner does leave the animal in the RV while they are away, what is the risk of a power outage with regards to overheating? 

Obviously one would never leave their pet in a car for more than just a few minutes on a hot day.  One would not have that issue in a house since the volume is so large.  Even with a power outage your house would remain livable for quite some time.  Since an RV is much smaller than a house, how quickly would an RV become unlivable for the pet, should power be lost on a hot day?

Some friends and neighbors were on their boat with their dog during the recent heat wave in California. They decided to take their dog home by dinghy, assuming it would be cooler there. When they arrived home they found we had a power outage and the house was hotter than their boat, so they turned around and took the dog back.

We have 2 dogs that travel fulltime with us and we agree with you Cheryl. I've seen more people who were dumber than their dogs than I can count :mad: Seems the problem is more frequent with the "rat dogs," than the regular ones.......for whatever reason. Will leave that to the psychologists to ponder ;)

ChinMusic said:
For those times that the owner does leave the animal in the RV while they are away, what is the risk of a power outage with regards to overheating??

Obviously one would never leave their pet in a car for more than just a few minutes on a hot day.? One would not have that issue in a house since the volume is so large.? Even with a power outage your house would remain livable for quite some time.? ?Since an RV is much smaller than a house, how quickly would an RV become unlivable for the pet, should power be lost on a hot day?

Trailers -- fairly long.  They are generally light in color, mosly white with white roofs and  they are well insulated.  Most importantly compared to a motor vehicle they have very lilttle window surface.  That lessens the greehouse effect that motor vehicles suffer from.    I have run my trailer some 4 hours in 90+ heat and found it quite comfortable at a lunch stop.  During that same lunch stop, the truck became stiffling in a half hour.

cheryl said:
I know that this will be the subject of many negative comments about pets but I just have to ask.? Not all but many pet (dog) owners that we have come across the past two years on the road and folks that feel that everyone shares the same feelings about his pet that he feels.? Don't get me wrong we had a little dog before we boated but gave the dog up and we did not feel a boat was fair to him.? And I don't think that dogs don't belong on rv's, my only problem is
1. Why do they let little poo pee on our rv site?
2. Why do people? leave little poo in the rv and think that it never barks while they are gone?
3. Why do some think that the rules of leashes and picking up after the dog after it leaves his stuff in others rv sites is not a rule for that owner?
As I said before, we used to have a dog and think they are great but FOLKS look at yourself and see if you fit in the list above and think about someone besides yourself.? Others park in the resort, rv park that you do.
Well I have opened the door but i think that it is time someone did.
Just wondering why?
Cheryl

I believe that all the questions you asked can be asked generically i.e. without regard to RV- they happen in stick built neighborhoods. Some people are completely oblivious of others and common sense/decency regardless of where they reside.

Responsible dog owners pick up after their dogs and obey the leash laws.

If we're gone, and fido is making noise WE DON'T KNOW. Please, please, tell us that the beast was making noise. Responsible pet owners want to know if their hairy children make noise when they're not home. We will do something about it if we only know.

Pet owners who are not responsible...ie, pick up after fido, obey the leash laws, are concerned whether fido makes noise, do not try to introduce Fido to everyone including those who are not pet lovers.....deserve your scorn. But make sure that they really are irresponsible pet owners before you rag on them.

Finally, I'll probably get slammed, but I have a real problem that you say that you 'gave up' your dog to go boating. Pets are NOT disposable personal property, they are living beings and deserve to be treated with respect and love. I would give up the RV before I would give up our labrador, Sam.

wendycoke said:
....you 'gave up' your dog to go boating.

Oops, I missed that one Wendy. Like you, we wouldn't give up a pet for "other pleasures". When we regrettably had the vet put our dog to sleep because of advanced cancer, Chris later told me she could hear me crying my eyes out in the back room. She (the dog) was an integral part of our family.

Well to of those of you that think I or we were wrong to give our pet up to a family member because we felt that our boat was wrong for our dog perhaps should not judge if you don't know why.  If you would rather give up rving for your dog then i say great for you but don't judge me wrongly for doing what we felt best for our dog.  After all to each his own.
And by the way not all those non caring are stick built, some of them are in high price motorhomes and actually don't really want you to tell them that poo barks everytime they leave.  It's too bad that some park owners/managers would rather not upset that pet owner by asking them to follow the rule.
Cheryl

Pet owners should follow all the rules and those who don't are WRONG. But I repeat, most of the time, if a dog makes noise when the owners aren't there, the owners don't know the dog is making noise when they're not at home and responsible dog owners want to be told so that they can deal with it. I don't think we need to argue about the fact that there are responsible dog owners and there are irresponsible dog owners and the irresponsible dog owners are WRONG. However, you said "I don't think that dogs don't belong on rv's" and I strongly disagree. I think many dogs are very well suited and absolutely belong in RVs....provided the dogs belong to responsible owners.

I for one am a dog owner and most people don't even know we have one, Like our neighbor for the las 4 months.  He just found out yesterday that we have a dog and boy was he surprised when he came in the house.  Ours goes with us everywhere.  If the dog is not welcome, we're not welcome..  I'd much rather be around ouor dog and many others than around a lot of people I know and also some that we've come across in our travels.  Of  we don't take her in stores and resturants and places of entertainment,  and etc. We care for our dog and proud do do so.

If the dog is not welcome, we're not welcome..  I'd much rather be around ouor dog and many others than around a lot of people I know and also some that we've come across in our travels.  Of  we don't take her in stores and resturants and places of entertainment,  and etc. We care for our dog and proud do do so.
Sure agree with you Shayne. Also, I do find most of the problems occur with the MotorHome people...for whatever reason. We are not above walking our dogs past a motorhome containing a barking dog ( or 2) and watching the loveable little pooch rip the inside apart. Hate to admit, but we like the justice.  ;D Figure if the owners aren't bright enough to realize a dog barks in an RV,...well.

Wendy, what i said was that I don't think that dogs don't belong in rv's as we have many friends that do.  Just clearing what I said here.  I really don't thing that folks that follow the rules should get so upset over the post.  C

I find Cherly's posts rather interesting.? I thought her original post was highly judgemental about people she didn't know and yet after someone commented on her "giving up her dog", she was quick to tell folks to not be judgemental without knowing her situation.? Very interesting!? However, I do agree with her that some people think rules only apply to others.

Now I'll stir the pot a little more.? I'll say up front, we have no (2-legged) children.? We have 7 4-legged ones, 4 dogs and 3 cats.? Why is it that barking dogs irritate people so much, but children running around the parks screaming, hollering and running through others campsites?? I understand kids need to be kids, but I believe you'll see kids making more noise and causing more trouble at campgrounds than dogs ever will.?

While we do have 7 children, we only take 2 dogs at a time with us and when we go somewhere, they never stay in the RV by themselves more than an hour.? Do they bark?? We don't know as no one has ever told us they do.? What I do know is that they never come out of the "house" without a leash and I never walk them w/out having some bags with me.

Lastly, heaven won't be heaven if my "children" aren't with me.? That should let you know hwere I stand on giving them up.

Billy Crowell
Tuscaloosa, Al.
'03 Phaeton

Cheryl? ?I'm not upset about your message? ?Just stated the fact as to how I feel about caring for our pooch.? Had a friend once that had trouble in a CG and he handled it this way.? As his RV neighbors didn't properly and left them mess throughout the CG,? he went to the other people in the CG gather the doggie messes and and waited till evening and dumped it on their steps of their RV and in the AM? when they raised cane about it, everyone acted innocent but the CG mgr knew what happened and politely told the jackel people to leave.? ?Couple times in the past few years I wish I'd done something like that instead of confronting slobs of their nature.? Once a slob? always a slob? ?Now I just fire up the RV and move on but leave them a note and to what I think of them.? Right or wrong it's? my way

How can someone "not" know their dog barks in an RV? Well, you can put the barking dogs and screaming kids in the same burlap bag and toss them over a bridge.....guess they do that with cats too :eek:

Naw? ? need to do that with the parents? ?
and take the kids for an ice cream? they probably need a friend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom