Photo metadata (EXIF) How do I access?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

In my research last night, as I work to master my new FZ30, I learned about metadata.  Apparently all digital cameras generate some sort of a header in the jpg files that contain all kinds of valuable information about the camera settings and even time of day of each photo taken.  This would be valuable information, especially for feedback as i work to improve my picture taking.

Anyone else here using metadata?  Is there a way to access it without going out and buying Photoshop?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Well well ....

I just figured out for myself how to see the metadata of my photos.  I right click on the file, then click on the properties, then on the summary tab, then on "advanced" and up pops the metadata.

Now..... I am wondering how I can copy and paste this data?  I cannot figure how to copy this data anywhere else including into this message.  In my thread about "this photo needs help" it might have been useful to post the metadata so others could review my camera settings and offer advice based on them.  And Bob Buchanan was correct when he estimated that picture was taken around noon.  It was taken at 12:49pm.

I am really interested in learning more from an folks here working with their metadata.

Smoky,

If there's no better way, you could always grab a screen shot with the meta data on screen. Just right click|copy, open your favorite image software, then right click|paste and save the image as, say, a .png file.

Good idea Tom.  And somewhere I have a piece of OCR software that would convert it into straight text.

Still wondering if any of the other photo bugs here on the forum use metadata?

Smoky said:
somewhere I have a piece of OCR software that would convert it into straight text.

Wasn't suggesting you convert it to text Smoky. I was merely trying to suggest a way you could share what you see on screen with others here.

Understood Tom.  But if I convert it to text, I then don't need anyone to look at an attachment, I can just integrate it with my message.

Tom:

I think I discovered one of the ways I am getting double posts.  the message above this, when I pressed the post button, it moved to that screen that tells you something went wrong (like a lost server connection).  I hit the back arrow to my post reply screen and almost pressed the post button a second time.  Then I thought I better first check and see if the message had actually posted.  By golly it had.  I think in the past I might have been double posting thinking I was single posting.

Smoky said:
I think I discovered one of the ways I am getting double posts.

Thanks Smoky; That's a good observation. I've seen it myself occasionally, but haven't paid enough attention to it to be able to associate it with anything.

Smoky said:
Anyone else here using metadata?? Is there a way to access it without going out and buying Photoshop?

Hi Smoky:- I use Metadata all the time. I shoot canine confirmation shows and equine shows, mostly dressage and jumping. There is a lot of info available in there. I can check for consistency in exposures. What focal length and shutter speed I used, the camera mode, etc.

Go to EXIF Reader Page and download the reader software. There is a huge amount of info that you don't see until you use a reader.

Have fun with it. Photography is all about learning.

Cheers
Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom