PhotoShop Elements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

ALL,

Can anyone tell me whether PhotoShop Elements includes a feature which allows me to rename a group of photos.  For example, can I highlight 10 or 20 photos and give them the name, let's say, LEES HOUSE- and have Photoshop Elements rename them as follows,

LEES HOUSE-1
LEES HOUSE-2
LEES HOUSE-3
LEES HOUSE-10

In my Cameda Master software there is a screen (see attached photo) that allows me to do this.

JerryF

Attachments

• House.jpg
    House.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 33
I have not used PhotoShop Elements, but am a frequent user of PhotoShop (full version). I am not aware of any way to make a batch name change as you suggest in the Adobe program., It sure would be nice though, wouldn't it. Maybe a PhotoShop expert here can help.

Jerry,

I don't use Elements II anymore but you might be able to do a batch rename with programs like Thumbs Plus.

Jim,

Which program do you use?  So far I have very done LITTLE photo rework in my PC. 

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I'm using Photoshop 7. I haven't done a lot of rework but I sure like what photoshop can do. I think Chet has quite a bit of experience with this program.

Chet,

What I would like to do is to get ONE program for processing photos but I really want a batch rename function.

Is PhotoShopCS the same as the full version of PhotoShop or is it a different program? 

PhotoShop Elements would probably do everything I might ever do to photos but if there is no batch rename I don't want it.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Chet,

What I would like to do is to get ONE program for processing photos but I really want a batch rename function.

Is PhotoShopCS the same as the full version of PhotoShop or is it a different program? 

PhotoShop Elements would probably do everything I might ever do to photos but if there is no batch rename I don't want it.

JerryF

PhotoshopCS is the full version.  There is now CSII out.  Don't know when the next edition will be published.

Adobe is presently beta testing a new program called LightRoom that will do all you want. At the present time the Apple version is the only one they have released. They expect to release the Windows version in the next month or so. Right now the Apple version is free for downloading, as will be the Windows version--when released.

I have been using the APPLE version for over a month, and it is SUPER. It will do everything you want--and a lot more. They have spent quite a bit of time redesigning the whole user interface. It is extremely easy to use.  I suggest that you go to and sign up to be notified when the Windows version is available.

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=593&threadid=1124248&enterthread=y

If you want to get an idea just what this program can do, go to:

http://labs.macromedia.com/technologies/lightroom/

and look at the video.

A Google search on "Adobe Lightroom" will give you a lot more info.

Chet18013

Chet,

I tried to see if LightRoom had a batch rename but could not tell.  I'll will keep following its progress.

JerryF

Jerry,it's under the export command. This does a single or batch rename and copy to an external specified destination, leaviing the originals alone. So you get to do it, review the results and then do what ever you want with the originals.

Export allows you to specify name, Seq# , date, shoot name, plus exif data.

Also works on te import command, which allows you to import from camera, card, or file

See: www.layersmagazine.com/lightroon/importing.php

Chet18013

JerArdra said:
Can anyone tell me whether PhotoShop Elements includes a feature which allows me to rename a group of photos.

Jerry,

I recently upgraded to Photoshop Elements 4. I have been using Photoshop Elements since version 1.0 first came out.? The new version does indeed have a batch conversion option. The following is what the help file says about batch processing (sorry the formatting was not preserved when I did a copy/paste):

To process multiple files
The Process Multiple Files command applies settings to a folder of files. If you have a digital camera or a scanner with a document feeder, you can also import and process multiple images. (Your scanner or digital camera may need an acquire plug-in module that supports actions.)
When processing files, you can leave all the files open, close and save the changes to the original files, or save modified versions of the files to a new location (leaving the originals unchanged). If you are saving the processed files to a new location, you may want to create a new folder for the processed files before starting the batch.
Choose File > Process Multiple Files.
Choose the files to process from the Process Files From pop-up menu:
Folder Processes files in a folder you specify. Click Choose to locate and select the folder.
Import Processes images from a digital camera or scanner.
Opened Files Processes all open files.
Select Include All Subfolders if you want to process files in subdirectories of the specified folder.
For Destination, click Browse and select a folder location for the processed files.
If you chose Folder as the destination, specify a file-naming convention and select file compatibility options for the processed files:
For Rename Files, select elements from the pop-up menus or enter text into the fields to be combined into the default names for all files. The fields let you change the order and formatting of the components of the file name. You must include at least one field that is unique for every file (for example, file name, serial number, or serial letter) to prevent files from overwriting each other. Starting Serial Number specifies the starting number for any serial number fields. Serial letter fields always start with the letter ?A? for the first file.
For Compatibility, choose Windows, Mac OS, and UNIX? to make file names compatible with Windows, Mac OS, and UNIX operating systems.
Under Image Size, select Resize Images if you want each processed file resized to a uniform size. Then type in a width and height for the photos, and choose an option from the Resolution menu. Select Constrain Proportions to keep the width and height proportional.
To apply an automatic adjustment to the images, select an option from the Quick Fix panel.
To attach a label to the images, choose an option from the Labels menu, then customize the text, text position, font, size, opacity, and color. (To change the text color, click the color swatch and choose a new color from the picker.)
Select Log Errors That Result from Processing Files to record each error in a file without stopping the process. If errors are logged to a file, a message appears after processing. To review the error file, open with a text editor after the Batch command has run.
Click OK to process and save the files.

I hope this is of some help. In my opinion, Photoshop Elements is an excellent program. Unfortunately, the latest version is setup entirely different than previous versions. It is almost like learning a new program but for a newcommer, that will not be apparent.

Regards,

Richard

Richard Sharp,

Thanks for the great explanation.  I found some neat stuff.  Please go to the following web site and try those instructions in your new Elements 4.  I'll bet that the batch rename in Elements 4 is almost the same.  This will prove or fail to prove that Elements 4 can do batch renames.

http://www.mediacollege.com/graphics/photoshop/batch-rename.html

On the other hand, I was VERY surprised that you can perform a batch rename using the WINDOWS softare.  See the next web site.

http://www.mediacollege.com/computer/file/batch-rename/windows-xp.html

JerryF

There are lots of capabilities in Windows that most people never know about.  A search in the online Help and Support applet will turn up lots of good information when you want to do something,

Richard,

Here is one for you because it mentions an undocumented feature in Elements 4 when using the batch rename feature.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/renamers/ht/apsrename.htm

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Here is one for you because it mentions an undocumented feature in Elements 4 when using the batch rename feature.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/renamers/ht/apsrename.htm

Thanks Jerry. I have that site bookmarked now and will be using the capability in Elements 4 a lot in the future. I did not realize the rename feature was so powerful. The graphicssoft website looks very informative also.

Richard

ALL,

I now can try it for myself.  Adobe let me download a full copy for a 30 day trial.  My first impression is that it is slow but it also does so much more than I have ever done with a photo. 

BTW, the download was 373,100,000 bytes as a zipped file; the largest download I have ever done.  Even the install took a considerable amount of time. 

JerryF

Ned said:
There are lots of capabilities in Windows that most people never know about.?

:) Unless you  happen to hsve come through the whole ball game of CPM and PC DOS, IBM DOS, Microsoft DOS. I used to prefer the OLD days. You could do just about anything with a siimple PRINT command. Most of the OLD commands still work. IMHO.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom