pictures on new iPhone 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

therealsimpsons

Recently, I purchased a new iPhone 5, replacing a Blackberry Bold. When I take a picture with the new phone, it saves in to a file called camera roll. After that I can move the picture to a designated album. However, once I do that, the original stays on the camera roll, becoming a redundant file, and using up space. 

When I try to delete a picture from "camera roll", a warning appears that says " This photo is used in an album. Do you want to delete it everywhere?" I don't, I only want to delete the original. But there is no option to answer, "no". The only option is to cancel the operation.

Does anyone know how to delete a camera roll picture without deleting it from the album I put it in.

Thanks,

Stan

I don't know an iPhone 5 from a megphone 1.0, but it sounds like photos are not actually copied to an album, only linked.  So, you probably only have one copy of the photo on your iPhone...just an educated guess.

I've never touched an Iphone either, just wondering what kinda RV it is,
  Since, last I checked, this was a RV Forum.

Yea, I know how to use the delete button...

n7qvu said:
I've never touched an Iphone either, just wondering what kinda RV it is,
  Since, last I checked, this was a RV Forum.

Yea, I know how to use the delete button...
Easy, Greasy.  This is the PC, Communications, Electronics message board.  About anything electronic is fair game here.

I use Picasa so when the phone is connected to the computer, it d/l the photos and Picasa keeps track of them. I can delete them from the phone but still have the copy in the computer.

parttymer said:
Recently, I purchased a new iPhone 5, replacing a Blackberry Bold. When I take a picture with the new phone, it saves in to a file called camera roll. After that I can move the picture to a designated album. However, once I do that, the original stays on the camera roll, becoming a redundant file, and using up space. 

When I try to delete a picture from "camera roll", a warning appears that says " This photo is used in an album. Do you want to delete it everywhere?" I don't, I only want to delete the original. But there is no option to answer, "no". The only option is to cancel the operation.

Does anyone know how to delete a camera roll picture without deleting it from the album I put it in.

Thanks,

Stan

The albums that you create on the phone are just for organization purposes. The photo isn't "duplicated", wasting space - it is just tagged so that it appears in any album that you specify. A photo can belong to any number of albums. When you delete the album, it doesn't delete the photos, it just untags them. When you delete them from the camera roll, however, they are gone from the device for good. Syncing to your computer is a good way to back them up, so you don't loose them. The other way is to sign up for iCloud, and use the photo stream. That automatically backs them up.  The photos in the photo stream will "drop off" your mobile device (phone, ipad, etc) in some period of time (maybe 90 days?), but they will never drop off your computer.

Mylo

Parttymer,

Maybe there is an "Album APP" for the iPhone-5 that is independent of the Camera Roll so you can save photos in the Album APP and than delete the photo from the Camrera Roll.

JerryF

iCloud is not a free service that uses your pictures (like PhotoBucket), or shares your pictures (like FaceBook). It is a service designed to keep the data on your Apple mobile devices automatically synced with your computer. Your data is only available to the same Apple ID, on another device. It works in the background, but does most everything that connecting you phone with a cable did. There is one exception, and that is the new "shared photo streams" in iOS 6. There you can explicitly share only the photos you choose, with other named individuals. I use it to send pictures of my kids to my parents. My parents love to see new pictures pop up automatically of their grand kids.

I know new technology can seem scary at first, but the iCloud is just awesome. I can go out shooting pictures all day, then open up my laptop and they are already there to edit and share as I see fit. Or turn on my TV, and show everyone a slides how of the day.

Mylo

parttymer said:
What does it cost?

I should have figured it would have read that way... :) The first 5 gigabytes are free, and if you need more than you can start paying for more space. I guess the gist of my point was that there are seemingly "free" services out there that allow you the privilege of uploading and sharing your photos, in exchange for them having the rights to use them as they see fit. iCloud is not like this. Your data is your data, and only you have access to it. I have two devices (phone, ipad), and I have not come close to filling my first 5 gigs. Each device also backs up to iCloud, so if it ever gets lost or stolen, I can get a new device, and with one click restore everything the way I had it. Contacts, Calendar, and email are also synced and backed up in this manner.

Mylo

Photobucket can be set to private so your content is not used publicly. You can also set any of your albums to share with certain family members, etc. A free account has many great features and is easy to use.

Back
Top Bottom