Planning for Retirement from Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChinMusic

In a few years I plan on joining you folks on the road.  If it's too hot, drive north.  If it's too cold. drive south.  Visit the grandkids without disrupting their home.

For years I have seen the looks in the eyes of the drivers of these RVs.  I like what I see and see myself there at some point.

Until then I plan to read, study, and fantasize.

Welcome to the forum.? You won't find a better forum anywhere on the net.? Check out all the catagories and listings, including the hosts and Library.? You'll find some very interesting info and facts you never would have thought of. Jump right in and try it out.?

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please join in on any of the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask any questions that come to mind.  Glad you found us.

Cy,

Welcome.

Tell us something about that big fish in your avatar.

Tom said:
Tell us something about that big fish in your avatar.

I go to Kississing Lake, Manitoba late in the season to hit the Lake Trout in shallow water.? If you check out the properites of that pic and view it full, you can see that the Aspen are changing colors.  That is about Oct 1.  I usu average one like that for every day that I'm up there.
That laker was 42" if I remember right.? Those that know Lake Trout can tell by the coloring that it is in its spawning colors.? We use barbless hooks, take a quick photo, and let em all go.

That's a great fish. I'm a stream fly fisher and rarely get the opportunity to fish the lakes.

Hi ChinMusic and all,

Good to see another RVing fisherman here, ChinMusic.  I'm doing  the same thing and am rather new here myself. 

I just got back from fishing way up north myself and read your post about Kississing Lake.  That area has been one of my favorite haunts since I was a teenager.  My father took me fishing there on a float plane in October of 1960.  What a time we had with lakers, pike, and walleyes.

I have fished A LOT of the best lakes and rivers in Manitoba and Saskatchewan over the last forty years.  I particulary like the Hanson Lake Road for RVing and fishing.  As you know, you can find a nice assortment of Provincial RV parks that are close to lakes and good fishing.  You get to meet a nice community of fellow RVers who love to fish and enjoy that great scenery and wilderness settings. 

A feature I like is that you can leave the Fiver set up at a  lakeside base camp on one fishing lake and take your pick of the surrrounding numbers of other lakes and river systems.  Just hook-up boat & trailer and head out for the day.  It's a great way to spend a summer/fall with friends.

As you can tell, I triple-tow, as do most all the other RVing fishermen in that part of the world.

ChinMusic, Good luck with your upcoming retirement...and hope to see you on Kississing some fall.  Look for a white Yarcraft backtroller with a chocolate lab on the bow.  Tight lines!

Waterdog,

We will be coming back west after visiting Niagara Falls via the trans-can highway through Ontairo and Manitoba.  You mentioned in your post that you stayed in the provincial RV parks.  I've tried to find some information as to whether there is a lengh limit to the parks.  Do you know if there is?  Also, do you recommend we get reservations or can we just "drop" in?  I did see where Canada posted a length limit for crossing the border into Canada.  It was 41 feet (not sure they are enforcing that limit).  We are 35'.

We too are fishermen and have deep sea fished off the west coast near San Diego for yellow tail tuna and Bonita.  We also fly fish, and have fished in the Ozarks.  As kids my husband and I grew up in the midwest and have fished for big mouth bass in lakes in Northern Indiana and Michigan.  Like you my husband went with his family into Canada, stayed at little cottages and fished for walleye.  Right after July 4th we are heading to Montana to do a week's worth of fly fishing in the Madison river and surrounding areas, as well as spend time with our kids and granddaughter. 

Marsha~

Hi Marsha, since this is ChinMusic's thread and I kind of took it off-topic I think I should move to the Fishing category and answer your questions.  See you there.

I'll head over to the fishing forum later myself..... ;D

Back to me and my wanabee newbee status:

I have plenty of time to decide what to buy as I have several years before retirement, but that's not gonna stop me from thinking about it...... ;)

I thought that after I had read sites like this, talked to actual users, and read other sites on the web, that I would have a better understanding of what direction in RVing I'd want to go.? But, it seems the more I read, the more I learn about this field......the more I know, I don't know.

About us:
We do NOT plan on being a full timers (without fixed home).? I still want to maintain a home in my current town.? I DO contemplate about being out for months at a time.? It will be my wife and myself as we are empty nesters without grandkids (so far).? We are both in excellent health.? I enjoy hiking and backpacking and imagine I'd be away from camp for days on end.? One of my fantasies is to thru-hike the Appalachian Trial.? I LOVE nature and want to see as much of it as I can while I still have strong legs.

Now my thoughts/ramblings:
At first the 5ers seemed like the best fit, but then I wondered how practical it is to be using a 3/4+ diesel truck for sightseeing (we don't own a truck).? We do plan to see a lot of the country and I'd anticipated a lot of side driving.? Then there is the Class A and Cs to look at.? They solve the driving issue, once at site, as we could pull a car we currently have.? Economically it seems the motorhomes are much more expensive to purchase, operate, and maintain.

The "As" seem to be the way to go if you know for sure you are going to stick with it, but I'm thinking that might not be the best place to start for a newbee like myself.? Maybe a used "C" might not be a bad idea for a newbee with the idea of upgrading should you love the experience as much as you think you are.? The more I think about the options, the more I confuse myself.

Please feel free to add your thoughts to this thread as to what you think is the way to start.

>> At first the 5ers seemed like the best fit, but then I wondered how practical it is to be using a 3/4+ diesel truck for sightseeing (we don't own a truck).  We do plan to see a lot of the country and I'd anticipated a lot of side driving.  Then there is the Class A and Cs to look at.  They solve the driving issue, once at site, as we could pull a car we currently have.  Economically it seems the motorhomes are much more expensive to purchase, operate, and maintain. <<

We have been over the issues of traliers and motorhome in other threads.  Here is how it seems to boil down.

1.  Trailer have minimal maintence problems: wash it, lub wheel bearings annual, and that is about it.  Most all the maintence is on the tow vehicle.  Motorhomes are motor vehicles and must be maintained constantly.  The problem is that you have to send your home to the garage as well as your motorvehicle.

2.  Motor homes set up a bit more easily than trailers.  OTOH if you are not moving constantly, trailer set up is not a bit issue, and it is entirely possible to camp with out unhitching a trailer.

3.  If you want to do a lot of boondocking, a moterhome with its included generator is superior to a trailer.  Of course, one can have solar or even carry a portable generator in a trailer.

4.  Because of length, motorhome have issues of manuevering in some campgrounds, generally government owned campgrounds.  Trailers pivit about their hitches and so can get into more and tighter space.

Try renting a motorhome A or C for a week and see how you like it and scout out other types of rigs in RV campgrounds.

Also something to consider.  People that started tenting, the truck campers,the popups, to campers to 5ers, to Class C, and finally Class A then a Bigger Class A, seldom do they ever  go backwards.  yes it does happen on rare occasions, but not too often.  There has to be a reason that happens.  So perhaps A is the way to eliminate some of the expense of always trading.  Seldom and yes this happens too, someone will decrease the size of their A.  Just like a house, it's never big enough, no matter how big a unit you have. Me,  37' MH and 24' enclosed trailer and wish it was 45' and 45' trailer and probably that still wouldn't be big enough.  It's all what you desire to do, how you use it, and the matter of comfort to you and family.  Good Luck

Amen to what Carl says.  Having owned both TT's, 5W and motohome, I'll add that a motorhome is a terrific way to travel between stops, as well as nice upon arrival.  It's hard to beat the comfort and convenience of a Class A traveling down the road. Even though we now often spend 2-3 months in one place and a trailer would do well for us, we still love the Class A all the rest of the time.

I do NOT recommend a Class C over an A - there is absolutely no advantage unless you want to stay below Class A size, which is a minimum of about 26 feet. It is a mistake to think they are less expensive than an A (foot for foot and equipment for equipment, they are the same). Nor are they cheaper to maintain or easier to drive.

A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck is no problem for sight-seeing.  Yes, they are a bit big, about 20-21 feet in overall length for a 4 door model with long bed, but they still fit in a mall parking spot (not as easy as a mini-van or small SUV, though). A short bed model will be about a foot shorter.  Dozens of folks here use large pick-ups as their daily driver, as do man other Americans.

So I'm not helping you much. I would rule out the Class C, but fifth wheel vs Class A is still a toss-up.

RV Roamer said:
I do NOT recommend a Class C over an A - there is absolutely no advantage unless you want to stay below Class A size, which is a minimum of about 26 feet. It is a mistake to think they are less expensive than an A (foot for foot and equipment for equipment, they are the same). Nor are they cheaper to maintain or easier to drive.

I would rule out the Class C, but fifth wheel vs Class A is still a toss-up.

If I rule out a "C" then maybe a used "A" in the 28-32' range would be the way to go for starters.  That way I wouldn't have to get a truck and could pull something I already have.  Does any "A" do fine pulling a small car?  What models of Class As are good to consider? 

Small Class A gas rigs can usually pull 3500-4500 lb vehicles with no sweat. Some of the diesels can pull 8000-10,000 lbs.

Which ones to pick? Ideally a used, mid-to-high end diesel rig. Country Coach has a real nice 32 footer in the Intrigue but that is fairly pricey.  Much more affordable is the Winnebago Journey 32 footer, a very nicely equipped small diesel.

There are quite a few gas 28-32 footers to choose from. Tiffin has nice Allegros in that size, Fleetwood has the Storm, Terra and Fiesta in that range, Winnebago has the Sightseer and used to have Adventurers that size a few years back.

Let me comment on the pickup as the "running around" vehicle.  We've got 40,000 miles on our 2004 Dodge One Ton - almost all of that on trips with our fifth wheel.

Absolutly no problem or issue at all seeing the sights or going to the grocery store in the Dodge until you get to the end of the pavement.  Then it beats you to death.  I envy the Class A guys with their compact SUVs which seem to be just perfect for off pavement adventures.

From another perspective: There were 30 or so rigs at the Moab ralley this year.  Carl was there in his trailer, I was there with my 5th wheel.  Everybody else was in a Class A - I don't think there was a single Class C.  Similar story at Quartzsite last year - I think there was one Class C and Bob has since traded for a Class A.  Bob, by the way, has gone from A to little trailer, to bigger trailer, to C and now back to A.

I really appreciate all the advice and personal experiences.  I have looked at the smaller Class As on the web, both new and used, and that does look like a great fit. 

I live in central Illinois and as far as I know this is not a hot-bed for RV sales.  We have Colman's Country Campers here in Springfield and I know that there is a large operation north on Bloomington on 55 (dont' know the name).  I have read about others who have gone to RV "shows" but an unaware if there are any close to me.

I'd like to attend some RV show and check things out.

You aren't far from Elkhart & Decatur, IN, where there are many RV factories and several RV dealers nearby.

If you Google (search the web) for RV SHOW ILLINOIS you will get several hits giving show dates and places.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom