Planning on buying class a this week, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwright

We are planning to buy a used rv this week I have narrowed the choice to a couple of manufactures. (I think)
One is Georgie Boy (pursuit).  The other is Winnebago (Itasca suncruser) We want a 35' class a with plenty of storage.  The one thing I like about the Winnebago is the fiberglass roof.  We are looking at models within a year of 2000 + or - .  Also wanting to stay under $40,000.  I would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Jeff Wright

Jeff,

Whichever make/model you choose, be sure to read some of the checklists in our library for help in what to look for. Click the Library button above and select Checklists. Good luck with the purchase.

Jeff,

Depending on how you plan to use your class A, you may want to make sure you get an adequate amount of CCC (cargo carrying capacity). For example, if you only use it on weekends or short trips, a large mount of CCC might not be important to you. If you want to full time or go on extended trips, CCC will be much more important.
With weekend trips, 1200 or 1500 pounds might be adequate for many people, but for long trips 2500 pounds or more would probably be more suitable.

Clay

Hi Jeff,

Enjoy your RV search. We have a 28' Winnebago Sightseer and really like it...enough room for the 2 of us and the dog.

Wendy
Windswept in Pahrump Nevada

The one thing I like about the Winnebago is the fiberglass roof.

Jeff,

You're probably wise to stick with a fiberglas roof.  From what I've read over the years, they require a LOT more maintenance and sometimes tear, such as if hit by a tree branch which is not at all uncommon in campgrounds.  If you go to a camping supply store and look at the products for rubber roofs, you'll be amazed at the number available.  And virtually none for fiberglas roofs.  We've always avoided rubber, so I admittedly do not speak from first hand experience, but we've always been happy with fiberglass.

ArdraF

When researching market pricing, I would often access two dealer sites for used RV's for comparison purposes:

PPL in Texas:  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/index.html

and Demartini with Indiana and California locations:  http://www.demartinirv.com/

Both of these sites had plenty of used inventory of all levels, and lots of pics to dream over.

BTW...You've probably already considered the options you'd like to have installed.  You can often locate a used coach that's already been fully optioned by it's previous owner at a good price.  The options and gadgets rarely bring much in resale value, but they do move the coach off the lot more readily than a bare bones unit, so be prepared with funds when you do find one you like.

Best of luck in your search,

jwright said:
We are planning to buy a used rv this week I have narrowed the choice to a couple of manufactures. (I think)
One is Georgie Boy (pursuit).  The other is Winnebago (Itasca suncruser) We want a 35' class a with plenty of storage.  The one thing I like about the Winnebago is the fiberglass roof.  We are looking at models within a year of 2000 + or - .  Also wanting to stay under $40,000.  I would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Jeff Wright

Oh my!!!  This is easy.  Winnegago isn't top of the line, but a could product for the $$$$$$$$.,  DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER A GEORGIE BOY PRODUCT.    I have a friend who had a Pursuit and it was a piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!

2200Kennard,
DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER A GEORGIE BOY PRODUCT.    I have a friend who had a Pursuit and it was a piece of crap!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a pretty strong statement without giving any specifics. There are folks out there that love theirs. It's like any brand - there will always be some dissatisfied owners, but without knowing what turned them off, well........ Can you be more precise? 

Thanks for all the advice in the end the winnebago (itsica suncruser) was the decision I'm writing this after spending my first night in our new mh and am very happy.

Back
Top Bottom