Please help...don't think its cat urine!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a Monaco that has the same issue. I’m also hoping to find the answer. Mine comes the strongest from the closet behind the head and over the hot water heater. Never had a cat but smells like you say, 100 cats sprayed in there.

This is a 2 year old post and the OP hasn’t been back since. That bugs me when you try to help someone and they don’t have the decency to get back to us with the results.

I looked uder topics of odors but didn't find one for my issue.

We just bought our 1st RV from a car dealership. OF COURSE, we don't notice this horrific odor until we are home. We honestly thought it was cat urine..smells just like 100 cats srayed in there for years. BUT the coach is really immaculately clean. We have spent 2 whole days cleaning, shampooing and deep cleaning the carpets, etc. I mean the thing SPARKLES. The odor really hits in the hallway part right between the bathroom and closets. Outside the same area is the holding tanks. Could this smell be SEPTIC?????? The odor is not in the upholstery, the bathroom smells fresh and clean now....I just don't get it, as soon as you open the door you get bowled over by the smell, although it is a bit better.
The MH hasn't been used for over a year and has been locked up. We found no pet stains when cleaning but it smells just like cat pee......what are we to do??????
We are so new to this please help!

Amy
A cop friend of mine told me cooking meth will smell just like cat pee. Maybe it was used as a cook house before they sold it? Just a random thought. Good luck.

I have two theories as a cat owner whose cats don't pee anywhere other than the cat box that is. I've had a strange gaseous smell coming from under the galley sink as well as the bathroom and would describe it as a methane type smell. Suggested cleaning on those is too pour a box of baking soda into the open toilet and then add a quart of vinegar quickly shutting the toilet flush valve at that time. The resulting chemical reaction is similar to peroxide, very carbonated, very bubbly. This has almost completely eliminated the gassy methane like smell. In regards to the cat pee smell, most people describe that as ammonia. Something to consider is that many RV refrigerators contain a (hopefully) sealed system with ammonia in it. When heated it cools down and keeps your frosty beverages at a welcome temperature. A break in that sealed system will definitely smell like ammonia, or cat pee. In that case more often than not a replacement is needed not a repair. Hope this helps you or someone else.

Check to make sure the vent tube 4" PVC has not dislodged from the tank. To know this you'll have to go on the roof and look at the vent cap. The tube should be flush with roof. if it is a couple of inches higher, the tube has come out of the tank. Follow the tube down to the compartment level and you'll find a plate that has to be removed to access the top of the tank. From there you'll see a rubber bushing that the tube goes into. Aline the vent tube and push it back in.

Back
Top Bottom