Please tell me about Flying J.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steph

Is this a better alternative to Walmart for a quick overnight?? Are they safe?? ?
Thanks.

The Flying J's I've stopped at separate the RV's from the trucks (the truckers prefer that), they are loaded in my S&T maps and show propane and dump.  They have free hot water and cheap good coffee.  Too many Wall marts can't allow overnighters if they don't own the parking lot, or if there is a local ordinance against it.
Art

It depends upon the location of the Walmart and the Flying J. Both are certainly much safer than a highway rest stop.

Both companies do business with the general public and are concerned about their reputations and neither would want an "unsafe" ?reputation. Both have security, somewhat effecient.

I think most Walmarts are reasonably safe, particularly if you park in the vicinity of other RVers. We had a thread here, dealing with a trajic crime at a Walmart in Utah. So, no place is completely safe.

Flying Js are similarly, generally, reasonably safe. There, it depends a lot upon your own behavior. If you are just looking for a ?place to get some rest, you should be fine. You should be aware that there is traffic in the parking areas looking to "entertain" truck drivers. If you avoid the working girls and the drug dealers, you avoid the associated risk.

That said, organized campgrounds have little or no crime and they are much quieter. They are also very inexpensive.

No matter where you take your rest, look around first. If you are uncomfortable with anything you see, go somewhere else.

Ray D

King,

Do RV'ers have to use a separate gas/diesel island for fuel fill up ?  Are you allowed to run your generator all night at Flying J's at the seprate Rv'ers rest area ?

vlady daddy said:
King,

Do RV'ers have to use a separate gas/diesel island for fuel fill up ?  Are you allowed to run your generator all night at Flying J's at the seprate Rv'ers rest area ?

You can use the RV Islands or if you have the opening for the big nozzle you can use the islands with the large trucks.

Some newer FJs have an RV parking area  usually in front area. There might be bobtails in there also overnighting.

I have run my generator all night a couple of times at FJs when it was very hot.

Bob

Bobtail is a Semi truck term, it means a tractor with no trailer

(In short the tractor's "Tail" (the trailer) has been "Bobbed" (removed) hence bobtail

And yes, they do use RV slots even though many Flying-Js specifically have signs NO BOBTAILS at the RV islands

Just a note... For you 5er folks,  When you drop your trailer at a campsite and go to town for groceries.. you are bobtailing.

Thanks guys.
I sure do learn alot on these boards.? I didn't know what a bobtail was either. (other than a cat with no tail.)? :D

I stop at Flying Js all the time.  In fact I schedule my break and fuel stops around them.  Don't forget to get a FJ RV card.  Also it's an excellent place to lose the wife.  I am the expert on that as a member of this forum and have no equal.  End of story.  Now  FJs are a fine place to stop.

steph said:
Thanks guys.
I sure do learn alot on these boards.  I didn't know what a bobtail was either. (other than a cat with no tail.)  :D

Actually.... There is a relationship there.  Bobtail started with dogs, Some breeders "Bobbed" the dog's tails (Cut them short) to improve the looks of the dog, A cruel procedure and personally I think the breeders who did that should have thier "Tails" Bobbed.

But that is another matter.  Then breeds (not just dogs) with short or no tail started to be refered to as "Bobtails" (IE: Bobtail deer)

And finally  We have bobtail trucks (no tail) so you see it means the same thing

Is this a better alternative to Walmart for a quick overnight?  Are they safe?   

Generally yes, but we find large truck stops (FJ and others) to be rather noisy and not very restful.  Some people are bothered by fuel & exhaust odors as well, which can be quite strong in some of them. We prefer Walmarts, Sams Clubs and similar places over truck stops, but have used them on occasion.

You light sleepers need to be more active.  When I go to bed at night I sleep and even those big boom boxes and loud diesiel reefers  park next to me, don't keep me a wake. Well maybe for a minute or 2  but then its zonker time.  I'm usually so tired by then it doen't matter  Guess maybe I just take in too much.

Flying J sounds like a nice option.? Although I have been reading about some campgrounds that are right off 95 that sounds pretty nice too.? I am not sure what to do.?
Thanks for all the help.

I headed west on the Flying-J plan last January,  (We spent most nights at Flying J's till we got where we were going) and most of them were not bad,  Wife wined a lot cause we could not put the slides out and things like that, but then that's what she does best

This year month we are again headed west and again we will be spending some nights at Flying-J's and the like, other nights campgrounds where we can put out the slides.  It will depend a lot on 1: Time 2: Weather and 3: Where we spent last night

I guess I will go armed with all this information and just see how things go.? How we are making out timewise, etc.

I meant to make mention of your explanation of bobtail.? I don't like how people clip animals tails or ears or anything like that.? I think it is cruel.? They are beautiful just the way they are.?
Having their (breeders or whoever) tails bobbed would be perfect.? ;)

Steph  Don't over drive.  If you extend yourself just one day by driving too long, you will pay and pay and pay for doing so.  Try not to ever go over 400 miles.  300 is better.  I've gone as much as 800 miles is one day and was pooped for a week.  Not worth it.  500 at an absolute max.  Good luck

John in Detroit:  If your wife had wined more, she might not have noticed the slides weren't out.  ;D  Sorry, I couldn't resist.  ;D

Thanks Shayne.? That is good advice.? It is really hard trying to do too much in one day.? We have done Daytona straight through and it was exhausting.?

I've done that so many times From /st Louis area to Troy Al  and then the next day to Tampa or Ocala area.  Then I was done fot 2 or 3 days  Then make the return trip  the same way   Always rush rush rush.  Or the Ill to Tulsa  and 3 days then Return.  Dumb Dumb dumb.  Since then a whole lot different.  I'm in no hurry and feel better when I get there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom