polarity tester

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muskoka guy

I have read that testing the power for proper polarity is a good idea in case someone has wired the pedestal at a campground incorrectly. I was going to buy one the other day but it was just a standard 120 volt plug in type that looks like the end of a normal extention cord. I got thinking, how is this going to test an outlet for a 30 amp rv plug. Do you have to buy on that looks like my 30 amp 3 prong rv plug. Thanks in advance.

Just buy a normal digital voltmeter. It should be in your toolbox anyway. You can get one at the auto department of Walmart for under $20 or order one from Amazon.

I have several of those. I guess if I know which leg is the neutral, I can check against the ground to make sure it is in the right position on the outlet.

muskoka guy said:
I have several of those. I guess if I know which leg is the neutral, I can check against the ground to make sure it is in the right position on the outlet.
Correct. The neutral always has the bigger slot.

You could also use a tester like you were looking at along with a 30 amp to 15/20 amp adapter (which probably carry anyway).

The easy way is to buy an adapter or make up one of these, i.e. http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_30amp.htm
A great resource for RV electrical basics the parent web site www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_30amp.htm 

"Do not trust any installation done by anyone including yourself or a professional"

I gotta tell ya I have let out my share of magic smoke and it is real difficult to put it back 

Shadow Catcher said:
"Do not trust any installation done by anyone including yourself or a professional"

There are two reasons why, when people talk about installing an RV outlet at home, i recommend they go with a 50 amp.

1: The cost of upgrading from 30 to 50 is higher than the added cost of putting in a 50 to start with, way higher.

2: I have read far too many stories "I had an electrician install an outlet for my 30 amp RV and when I plugged in all the magic smoke came out"

(ok, I seriously rephrased the last part)

Turns out Mr. Professional failed to read the 125 volt label on the TT30 and looked at it said "Dryer/Air Compressor" and wired it for 240 volt.

Now,  I .. personally.. did not make that mistake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natalihu
Back
Top Bottom