Popup tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HessyBear

We recently took our 2005 Fleetwood Niagara for a weekend trip. On the way back home, we had a complete blowout. I switched to the spare, and thankfully we made it home. I am looking at replacement tires and noticed that the weight rated on the tires is lower than the weight of the camper. I am assuming that the weight rating on each tire is combined, but if someone can confirm that for me, that would be great. Also, the tires are rated for 50 pounds max pressure. As they are trailer tires, I should be airing them up to max capacity, correct?

It's weight per wheel, so if the trailer is 4000lb each tire would be rated for a minimum of 2000lb. You typically want a little bit of margin due to loading of one side or the other. The sidewall weight rating of the tire is based on maximum pressure so technically if the actual weight is below the max rating of the tire, you would use less air pressure. The pressure you would use would either be stated in the chassis placard placed by the manufacturer, or per charts from the tire manufacturer based on actual weight.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Tent trailer tires are notoriously bad. Depending on wheel size, axle etc you might be wise to try to upgrade to maybe 13 inch tires.

Thank you for the information. The dry weight of the camper is 3100 pounds, and the tires were rated for 1750 pounds. I am leaning towards replacing with the Hancock or Goodyear load range D, which have a max load weight of 2,050 pounds at 65 psi.

If I upgrade the load range, should I calculate the pressure based on the 3500 loaded weight I will travel with? Meaning 3500/4100 = 85% .85 x 65 = 55 psi

The tires are 14 inch tires, which is a lot better than the donuts on some of the smaller pop ups. I think that age is the reason behind the failure.

I'd replace with same rated tires and buy 3. Look at the date code on the old tires, a 4 digit like 2212 would mean made in week 22 of 2012. Good idea to replace always after 7 ish years on a pop up like that. Max tire pressure, I doubt you need to run max, others are better at giving specs but I'd guess 40-45 cold range. The specs on the tires as mentioned above, I believe the tongue weight takes some of the load off the tires, so a 4000 pound loaded trailer might be 600 pounds' tongue weight, that's 3200 pounds / 2, equals a rating of 1600#. I do agree, buy a bit better than

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom