Portable generators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sorcisto

I am looking for a portable generator that I can use when my TT is parked without hookups.  It needs to provide enough AC power to run my roof AC unit.  I would like to find the "quietest" possible.  We have no experience with these things and could use a little advice.   

Thanks;          Sorcisto & Spouse

Sorcisto said:
I am looking for a portable generator that I can use when my TT is parked without hookups.? It needs to provide enough AC power to run my roof AC unit.? I would like to find the "quietest" possible.? We have no experience with these things and could use a little advice.? ? ?

Thanks;? ? ? ? ? Sorcisto & Spouse

Try taking a look at this old thread by clicking the url http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=706.0

If you have any  questions based on the thread,  be sure to ask them -- someone will give you a hand.

Quitiest portable, beyond a doubt HONDA

2000 may be big enough, 3000 will be

Note: With Hondas you can get a parrallel kit, 2000+2000=4000 (or 3+3=6kw)

These generators generate DC and then convert to 60Hz Sine or very close to it
thus they can parrallel, other generators are, well, generators

Note two: Honda is the most expensive

Get a Honda.  As John says, the 2000 is probably enough but the 3000 will give you extra capacity.  The 3000 begins to exceed the definition of "portable", though.

I will second the previous recommendations for the Honda.  2nd choice would be the Yamaha in the same 2000/3000  capacity.

Where can I get the parallel kit for the Honda EU2000i generator? I have been told that Honda may have one. I have been told that apparently there is one being sold on the internet for 1/3 the price of the Honda kit.

I have also been told that there is a 5 gallon tank available that replaces the gas cap on the 2000i and the 2000i then siphons that gas from the 5 gallon tank.

Anyone have any info on these items?

If you will Google "Honda EU2000i Parallel Kit" (without the quotes) you will find numerous sources.

Here's one source for Honda parallel kits:  http://www.mayberrys.com/honda/generator/accessories/parallel-rv/rv30a.htm

Another: http://www.shop.com/op/aprod-p17294115?sourceid=3

For the official Honda parts, go to this page and click the "Parallel Cables" or "Accessory Catalog" links.  http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/eu2000.htm

My Honda EU2000 has never been able to power my a/c.  It didn't work on the a/c on my pop-up or my new trailer.  Not sure what BTU (or whatever) either a/c was.  I also find that it will not run the microwave in the trailer unless EVERYTHING else is turned off.

A microwave does take a lot of power to start up, but 2KW should be plenty. It is probably true that everything else must be turned off though, but I have not tried it yet. If you parallel two of the units together, 4KW is for sure plenty to power up the a/c and still be able to run other devices.

The Honda EU2000i has a peak output of 2000 watts but a CONTINUOUS output of only 1600 (13.3 amps). 

Microwaves need a lot of continuous power and a 1200 watt microwave actually draws around 1800 watts while running. It will max out a 15 amp branch circuit. Smaller microwaves will produce about 600-900 watts of power and draw about 1000-1500 to do so.

The standard roof top a/c that most RVs are equipped with are 13,500 btu models that draw about 13 amps while runing.  Dometic says their basic 13,000 btu models require a minimum 20A branch circuit or a 3500 watt genset to operate.  That's because the start-up load can be as much as double the running amps.  Higher efficiency [and more expensive] models get down around 10.5-11.0 running amps and can operate on less power.  The Dometic published numbers are probably conservative, since they have to allow for worst case scenarios, but it gives you an idea of the power needed.

I use a Honda 3000 with my 28' fifth wheel - it is EXTREMELY quiet, and will power whatever I need. Lots of folks in campgrounds ask about it because it is unobtrusive - had a rack welded to the rear frame to accomodate the generator (no compartment set up for it), and it never has to be moved. It was $1,700 18 months ago, and the price doesn't seem to be moving . . . up or down.

Enjoy!

Hi Guy's  I used my 3000 with my old 30'/5er. It did a great job handleing the a/c and all other needs except the microwave, then I had to turn the a/c off. ;D

Honda, yamaha, kipor they all make generators that will suite your needs. you might have to go with a parallel set up( these are awesome: light, powerful and quite)

I have a 15,000 BTU A/C.  I use two EV2000's with a parallel kit.  I purchased it all at Camping World.  Works great even with the microwave and TV on....

This last weekend camping was the test for me. I am in southern Nevada, so even being at 8500 feet it was 92 during the day.

Perfect for me to test my new honda 2000ei dual parrellel set up.

And I done just that. I hooked the Hondas up in parrellel, and then went in and fired up the a/c. It fired just as bit hard, but it hummed along no problem. I even sat in the tt and ran my laptop, on sat. internet for over one hour. Geez camping is so primitive now days!  ::)

The Honda 2000ei's are not cheep.. They set me back a bit. I work with my hands for a living, and 2000 bucks comes with a hard price.

But in the end, this is the way to go for us over 50 crowd. You can pick up a Honda 2000ei, But you will strain youself picking up a Honda 3000EI.

For me I can haul 2000's around all day. But the 3000, will bust my b((s. 

Back
Top Bottom