Portable jump-start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
This thread was moved from a private area, because it evolved into a discussion of jump-starters, and this might be of general interest.

Left the Cowboy state around 11.00am Saturday after the 5W had been winterized and moved to winter storage.

... just as the tow truck arrived to move our 5W, the Explorer battery died and wouldn't start the car. A neighbor had one of those jump-start things, and the Explorer started right up. I've never thought of those jump-start packs as more than a waste of money, but now I'm thinking of keeping one under the seat of the car.

Last edited:
Oh, just as the tow truck arrived to move our 5W, the Explorer battery died and wouldn't start the car. A neighbor had one of those jump-start things, and the Explorer started right up. I've never thought of those jump-start packs as more than a waste of money, but now I'm thinking of keeping one under the seat of the car.
The older lead acid jump packs were marginal in their ability supply enough current to start a car but the newer lithium packs work quite well. I have a $69 Costco special in my car and it's already bailed out a couple of my neighbors. Since I tend to keep starting batteries until they fail I'm sure it will eventually save me too.

The stated capacities may appear small but the key is their ability to supply ample surge current. Mine is rated at 8000 mAh, which may only be 8 amp-hours but since it can deliver 400 amps it can vigorously crank the engine for more than a full minute. Another neat feature is it recharges via a USB adapter so if you have a USB port in your car you don't even have to take it out of the car to recharge it.

The older lead acid jump packs were marginal with regard to their ability to jump start a car but the newer lithium work well unless they're completely discharged. You only have to use it once for it to pay for itself. I have a Gooloo high capacity jump pack in my diesel pickup and a $50 Costco special in my car.
Thanks Lou. The guy said he bought his at Walmart. Haven't fully researched them, but WM's has one at $100, and Napa has an equivalent for $82. The GooLoo GP200 (2000A) is discounted from $129.99 to $89.99 and their GP4000 is discounted to $99.99.

The GooLoo units look really small; Is this likely because of lithium batteries? If they'll do the job, the GP4000 looks like the way to go.

Last edited:
Not sure about the Walmart jump packs, but if they're small and light and have at least 200 amp surge capacity they pretty much have to be lithium. I bought the GP4000 after watching Project Farm's review of several jump packs on YouTube, it was the best at cranking over his large Ford diesel tractor and at $99 it's a steal. I keep it in my 7.3L Ford diesel pickup and out of curiosity when I first got it I disconnected both truck batteries and the 4000 was able to power through the glow plug cycle with enough reserve to easily start the engine. I considered getting another one for the motorhome but it's not really needed there since the the boost switch lets the engine start from the lithium house batteries.

Not sure about the Walmart jump packs, but if they're small and light and have at least 200 amp surge capacity they pretty much have to be lithium. I bought the GP4000 after watching Project Farm's review of several jump packs on YouTube, it was the best at cranking over his large Ford diesel tractor and at $99 it's a steal. I keep it in my 7.3L Ford diesel pickup and out of curiosity when I first got it I disconnected both truck batteries and the 4000 was able to power through the glow plug cycle with enough reserve to easily start the engine. I considered getting another one for the motorhome but it's not really needed there since the the boost switch lets the engine start from the lithium house batteries.
Thanks Lou.
I opted for the GP4000. WM had it for $20 less than Amazon and with free shipping. Thanks for the info and advice.

Thanks Lou.

I opted for the GP4000. WM had it for $20 less than Amazon and with free shipping. Thanks for the info and advice.
It arrived yesterday (2nd day); Had I ordered earlier on Monday, the WM web site was saying I'd have received it Tuesday.

It has a nice zippered hard-sided case to hold the unit, cables, and some other stuff. The indicator lights said it was fully charged, but the manual said to charge it anyway.

I was going to leave it under a seat in the car, but the manual has a warning about storing in a high temperature (concern for the battery). The specs put an upper temp limit of 140F. One article I read said that a car interior in CA can be 138F when it's 90F outside, and we know the outside temperature here can be significantly higher. OTOH what's the under-hood temp here while driving in 90-100 weather?

A lady jumped our UTV with one, unsure of brand but was a lil bitty thing. My wife had to get one. It has a compressor built in Bolt I think name was. Have already used.

I am on my second one of these. The first one lasted at least 8 years before I felt it was losing it's ability to start vehicles. I started a lot of cars with dead batteries with it. Also used it a lot on our standby generator.
Thanks for the good report. I hope I get similar life from the one I just bought. That JNC660 has a lead-acid battery, so it's larger/heavier than the lithium ones.

A lady jumped our UTV with one, unsure of brand but was a lil bitty thing. My wife had to get one. It has a compressor built in Bolt I think name was. Have already used.
I vacillated over getting one with a compressor, not much more $$. Decided not to, but I have this feeling I might regret that decision.

I vacillated over getting one with a compressor, not much more $$. Decided not to, but I have this feeling I might regret that decision.
Worked great on truck, suv, UTV, wheel barrow, mower. Was kinda fun. Would not touch the 80psi camper tires.

Thanks for the good report. I hope I get similar life from the one I just bought. That JNC660 has a lead-acid battery, so it's larger/heavier than the lithium ones.
I store it under the seat of my truck so the size and weight is not a huge issue.

Which one did you get? I am always considering getting one for my wife's car.

I store it under the seat of my truck so the size and weight is not a huge issue.

Which one did you get? I am always considering getting one for my wife's car.
I opted for the GooLoo GP4000.

We keep one of these in our Tesla. We have used it a few times over the last few winters. Mostly neighbours with a dead battery in the cold. Handy little thing. And a good light as well. C38740CA-D40D-407F-A15B-BDB6A165094E.png

I have both types (AGM and Lithium) I was surprised the two times I use the LI pack it really does the job.

But for other jobs the AGM pack has a much higher total capacity.. and that counts.

The lithium ones work great - have used successfully twice. First time helping out another traveler whose battery wouldn't start their car in a Farmer Boys parking lot. The second time was to start the DW's car after a NOCO charger killed the battery in it. It was a NEXPOW Q10S picked up on a lightning deal.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom