Portable smoker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strugglebus

I love smoking so many foods, but taking any type of smoker on the road AND being able to have it working for hours at a time just seems impractical. I imagine many campgrounds would shut you down due to the smell and the smoke. I use 2 disposable aluminum hotel pans and a smoker tube. It doesn't produce nearly as much smoke as the big boy smokers and you can rather tightly seal the pans together so you get plenty of smoke flavor and it can still escape, but it allows some minor heat buildup. You'll still have to cook your dish somehow. Easiest way is to leave it in the pan, cover with foil, and pop it in the oven at 250 for a few hours. I'll experiment later to see if putting a baking rack in the pan first will allow you to put it on a flat top griddle, like a Blackstone, and finish cooking it that way.
Smoker tubes on Amazon are under $20.

That’s definitely one way to get the job done. I use a Masterbuilt tailgate smoker for my campground smoking. It looks like this.

Attachments

• 21C4C408-D1DF-421E-B723-3BD331BCF623.jpeg
    21C4C408-D1DF-421E-B723-3BD331BCF623.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 13
My issue with many is the size. This is a 24x24x16 inch box. That's a huge amount of storage space gone, plus the mess inside. If it works for you, awesome. Nothing like BBQ that doesn't need any sauce.
I've used wood chips smokers in the past. The chips always dried out and ended up burning, which imparts a horrible flavor. I found it just takes too much of my time checking on it. Light the smoker tube and walk away for a few hours.

Not that this is a true smoker but I use one of those wood pellet boxes in my portable gas grill. Works "well enough" for my purposes, have done some pretty good briskets and ribs and not one issue with anyone complaining about smoke or smell. I've noticed a few folks over the years doing it the same way.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

What self-respecting camper would complain about a smoker in a campground? You, know, the place with campfire rings and built in BBQ grilles?
I'd expect the bigger problem would be the line forming as the cooking process came to a completion.

What self-respecting camper would complain about a smoker in a campground? You, know, the place with campfire rings and built in BBQ grilles?
I'd expect the bigger problem would be the line forming as the cooking process came to a completion.
My mom! She seriously hates the smell of burning wood. I'd be fine with any smell of BBQ but it only takes 1 complaint. I figure I'll keep it to a minimum amount of smoke and try to avoid the hassle. To be fair I was in a FL coast state park and the wind was blowing our campfire smoke almost sideways. Not too cool if the camper next door getting all that smoke in your windows. It got so bad I had to put the fire out.

I used to haul this around in my pickup, when I had the 5th wheel...Everything from ribs to pizza... No one ever complaned, they would just stop in and see what was cookin'...

Butch

I gotta say I’m really surprised that some folks would complain about smoke in a CG. Campfires are encouraged; fire rings and firewood for sale at the office. BBQ grills at every site. Would you complain about your neighbors cigar or pipe smoke? Are there any no smoking CG’s?

I gotta say I’m really surprised that some folks would complain about smoke in a CG. Campfires are encouraged; fire rings and firewood for sale at the office. BBQ grills at every site. Would you complain about your neighbors cigar or pipe smoke? Are there any no smoking CG’s?
There are a few, according to this list:

There are times when it is not ok to have ANY type of fire at any & all campgrounds around here. I too am allergic to any type of tobacco smoke so I apricate the smoke free campsites not that I search them out, but there are so few smokers anymore it isn't as big a problem as it once was.

I think I would be one of those standing in line to see what was cooking if it was close by me Asking What spices and how did you do that and if I brought my meats or ? could you show me and and and....

We have a tiny, about the size of a basketball, BBQ that my mom got hubby as a joke once for his birthday and it folds down and fits in our van. We've only used it once. It took 2 loads to make hamburgers for 4. Works out perfect when it's just the 2 of us... only takes a tiny bit of fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom