Portable Solar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob&Deryl

I have concluded that on my maiden voyage I am not going to install panels on the roof. Next summer will be the decision on us liking the rv world and boondocking. If we do, then we may upgrade at some point and install solar on that rig.

For this winter at Q & Kofa, some solar could be helpful. The trailer has a connector on the front that I could plug some ground placed solar in to (I assume I can get a plug to match it). The electrics don’t bother me. My concern is how to package it to survive loading into the basement (or perhaps the sofa) for travel.

Thoughts?

Our first year we managed with a 160 watt portable panel, but the solar connector fitted to the fifth wheel is only rated 10 amps. On ours, it wasn't connected to anything, you had to make the connection. We didn't use it as the panel was supplied with a decent Anderson 2pin plug and socket. We bought it at Q and can show you it so you can decide before you buy if you can wait until then. We also removed the controller from the panel and mounted it near the batteries to minimise voltage drop. The supplier also did a 200 watt but it was a bit too big as a portable. Both panels came with a very substantial padded case to protect the panel when traveling.

Last edited:
We also made up a 50ft. extension cord to allow the panel to be moved further from the unit if parked under trees.

I still have a flexible panel I started using back in my tent camping days, geez, at least 25 years now. In my popup it was stored flat on one of the beds before I put the top down. In my class A it's stored in a basement compartment that's long enough to leave it flat. Deploying it is as simple as hauling it out, laying it somewhere in the sun (often on the awning, or the roof) and plugging it in. It doesn't offer a lot in terms of power but sometimes I like to use it to run some portable radio equipment or charge some batteries.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

50' is great. What size wire gauge did you use?
I bought a general 120volt extension cord and swapped the plug / socket for Anderson connectors. I think it's about 12 or 10 gauge.
Hindsight, and tests with voltage and current meter show that the wire size wasn't big enough. We were losing about 2.5 amps due to voltage drop from the panel to the batteries. However, any input was better than none. To help compensate, I moved the controller from behind the panel to near the batteries thus allowing a higher voltage in the extension cable to offset the losses. This also keeps the controller out of any dust and damp.
When we get back hopefully next week, I will be able to do the test again as I will have an ammeter with me.

Several years ago, I bought a portable solar panel and controller. It did the job, but transporting without damaging it turned out to be a real PITA. I used it for one trip, and promptly sold it.

Joel

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am thinking of getting this when I get to AZ in early December.

Renogy 200 Watt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase, 200W Panel-20A Controller​

on Amazon.
I would need to replace or put in a bulkhead connector to the battery bay to connect the panels. Suggestions?

This brings up a question about getting packages delivered while camping. I will be in Casa Grande for over a month so there should be a way. Amazon does drop boxes but what about other vendors?

I would need to replace or put in a bulkhead connector to the battery bay to connect the panels. Suggestions?
That's going to depend on the RV. In my old RV, I have a connecter coming out from the bottom of the old battery box (no longer used with my much larger lith batt that will not fit) where I can add my folded up solar panel's controller to. It's a connector under my RV by the steeps, very easy to get to.

-Don- Reno, NV

...This brings up a question about getting packages delivered while camping. I will be in Casa Grande for over a month so there should be a way. Amazon does drop boxes but what about other vendors?
The campgrounds where we've stayed will receive packages for guests. I always call ahead of time to confirm, but haven't had an issue. Most often Amazon, USPS, and UPS leave packages at the office, and the office is grateful to folks who pick up their packages quickly.

Back
Top Bottom