Portable waste tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef john

Hello everyone,
I am going on our first extended stay and will need a portable waste tank. I have been doing some research on the internet and have come to the conclusion I have two choices, Barker or Thetford. Seems like I see more blue ones(Barker) than I do the others. Would appreciate opinions and prices any one can offer or lead me too? If it matters my Black Water Tank is 38Gal. Great Forum, I have learned much. Thanks Chef John

Well the reason you see more blue ones rather than Thetford is because Thetford came out with them fairly recently and, Well,  I've had a blue one for what, 20 years or so (At least it seems that long)

Have not used it since I got the motor home.  Don't know why I kept it,  but I have one.

With the old trailers I had there were no gray tanks so I used the blue bottle.  However with the Class A I've got over 100 gallons of waste storage spilt 3 ways So I drive to the dump station if I'm in a position to need to do that.

chef john said:
Hello everyone,
I am going on our first extended stay and will need a portable waste tank. I have been doing some research on the internet and have come to the conclusion I have two choices, Barker or Thetford. Seems like I see more blue ones(Barker) than I do the others. Would appreciate opinions and prices any one can offer or lead me too? If it matters my Black Water Tank is 38Gal. Great Forum, I have learned much. Thanks Chef John

John,

Could you tell us a little more about your situation. There may be a better way to solve your problem than a "blue boy". Why do you need a portable tank? Not questioning that you need one, just that sometimes there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Make sure you won't be pulling 32 gallons of black water up hill or anything like that when you park the trailer!  You still have to haul the waste water to a dump station...if you want to park the camper for an extended period in a campground without full hook ups and you don't want to have to move the camper, it's a viable solution.  Make sure you get one with 4 wheels and a tow arm that will fit on your hitch on the back of your truck.  Make sure it has the release valve on the side, not on the top.

When your tank gets 2/3 - 3/4 full, dump it in to the portable tank and haul it to the dump station...don't drive too fast.

I will be camping at a site with no hookups. Usually it takes us about 5 or so days to fill the black tank 2/3rds. Really don't want to break camp to dump. 

We used to have a blue-boy (might even still have it out back somewhere). We bought it when we were campground hosting (4 month job) in Florida at a park that had EW hookups but not sewer. Didn't want to hookup the 5er and tow it 200 feet to the dump station so we bought the blue boy. Worked great. Haven't bothered with it since we got the motorhome. Of course, we also haven't been anywhere without sewer hookup for such a long time. Sure saw a lot of them in Quartzsite. I think my parents even had one of the small ones.

Wendy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom