Portal, AZ to Canyon de Chelly route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

I am currently in Portal AZ and will be heading to Canyon de Chelly and looking at routes. I?m considering either going thru Silver City NM and taking US 180 to US 191. Or going through Safford and taking 70 to Globe and 60 up to 191.

On the route through Globe I was wondering about the section through the Salt River Canyon, if that is okay for towing my trailer through there?  Also on the others route is Hwy 180 ok for towing?  I?m leaning towards that route as it looks like there are more camping options that way. I plan to camp a couple times along the way.

Would like recommendations on best route and also things to see/do along the way. Thanks!

Ii can only comment on sections of your route because I have not driven the entire route.  Lordsburg to Silver City and on to Cliff is all fine road with a few grades but nothing too serious.  I only went as far as Cliff, so cannot comment beyond that.  Rt. 191 from Chambers to Chinle is a beautiful drive and good road.  When you travel the Navajo Nation, be aware that there are BIA(Bureau of Indian Affairs) roads and US routes.  BIA routes can be poorly maintained, more narrow, and poor pavement in places.  We try to stick to US routes.

Enjoy your time in Chinle.  It is one of our favorite spots.  If you are there at meal time, try the Navajo owned restaurant at the Best Western Hotel.  You will experience some of the best fry bread in the West, great service, and a warm, welcoming atmosphere. 

If you want a truly memorable experience, contact Adam Teller at Antelope Tours and have a personally guided tour into the canyon.  Adam is a native American who grew up in the canyon and whose family has lived there for many generations.

Enjoy!

Wally

We stayed at Cottonwood Campground and found it reasonably peaceful. Reviews on line were variable but we had no issues.

Anyone coming from the East should avoid rte 13 as it has a 14.5% section which we managed by going into 4wd low. Luckily it was only a small section but it had us a bit worried we hadn't seen any prior warnings either.

Beautiful area. White House ruin very doable. Some nice things for sale at the bottom for reasonable prices. We met a lady called Geraldine who delivered my purchases as I didn't have cash with me, she was very nice.

One thing to bear in mind is that the Reservation time zone can be different to Arizona time so make sure you check that. We missed a tour because of it.

Have fun.

Thanks for all the info.  I was particularly wondering about the section through Salt River. I?m leaning towards the other route because there are more camping opportunities that way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom