Post a joke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The speaker then took a 7 word sentence and interpreted it 7 different ways. Scary that most of our communication is now words only.
Yep, it's amazing how awkward it is when someone types a message expecting others to recognize the tone of voice and facial expression somehow, just from habit of in person voice communications -- even those are sometimes misinterpreted. And cultural background and other factors enter in, as well.

I was at a seminar about project management where a study about the parts of communication were discussed. It was said that the impact of a message was 55% non-verbal (body language),

I've had 1 dog bite me (By accident) and at least 3 more try and fail (though one did hit my thumbnail with his tooth all he did was knock it out of the way)
Why was I able to prevent the dogs from biting me?
55% non-verbal (Body language) Spent all my "Formative" years working with animals.
Read the "I'm going to bite you" body language and got my body parts out of the danger zone.
Did the same thing with human attackers in (junior?) high.. Got out of their way.. Let the Brick Wall deal with 'em.. Very nicely I might add (Sucked big time to be them).

I was at a seminar about project management where a study about the parts of communication were discussed. It was said that the impact of a message was 55% non-verbal (body language), 38% audio (tone, inflection, volume, etc., with the remaining 7% being the actual choice of words. The speaker then took a 7 word sentence and interpreted it 7 different ways. Scary that most of our communication is now words only.

I the corporate world I would often have to describe repairs either by phone or by eMail.

In training we did exercises whereby one person would give instructions on how to build a certain item to a guy on the other side of a curtain with the same model in pieces. Of course there was interchangeability on "similar" parts.

There were other exercises like describing a DC circuit or describing a sketch of something.

Quite humbling...

Then add in that for most customers English was a second language...

I was at a seminar about project management where a study about the parts of communication were discussed. It was said that the impact of a message was 55% non-verbal (body language), 38% audio (tone, inflection, volume, etc., with the remaining 7% being the actual choice of words. The speaker then took a 7 word sentence and interpreted it 7 different ways. Scary that most of our communication is now words only.
I do accept that multiple factors impact any given message, but 7% being the actual choice of words?!? There are so many ways IMO to show that's just ridiculous. No matter what kind of gyrations a speaker uses of what tone/volume/inflection is used, the "punchline" is what actually comes out of his/her mouth.

Did we lose sight somewhere along the way that this is supposed to be a post a joke thread????
Thread drift. it happens.. In a political thread (NO THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL POST) I recently saw a 1st amendment discussion morph in to a 2nd Amendment discussion.... Waiting for it to go to the 3rd :)

Back
Top Bottom