Potential safety issue with slides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dichuck

We travel with our three small dogs in a 35ft Winnebago motor home.  Recently after a three week vacation, we were preparing to come home.  We did all the usual prep stuff.  When we finished, I said to my husband that I was going to take the dogs out before getting on the road.  That is when we noticed that one of our dogs was missing.  We searched the campgound for him asking everyone if they had seen him, no one did.  We thought he must be in the motorhome somewhere.  We searched the motor home again,  he was not to be seen.  It was then that my husband looked down between the slides, and realized that our dog, Schultzie, was trapped between the slide and our wall of cabinets.  When we retracted the slide, he was already dead.  I cannot explain the horror of that sight, our dog crushed by the slide.  Our mission is to try and inform as many people as possible of the danger of the slide.  We carry the guilt of what happpended as we know it was our fault.  It could happen to a small child just as easily.  We had no idea he was there.  Please check and double check when you bring in your slides.
Dianne and Chuck

That's just devastating.  I'm so sorry that you lost your pet.  Thanks for having the courage to warn others of the danger.

Margi

When breaking camp, before anything ''moves'', we take the dogs out to tinkle.  When they come back in, they go directly into the box.  this not only keeps them out from under our feet while we prepare to hit the road but it is a safe place for them.  I do most of the outside stuff and Willa does the inside and the last thing we do is retract the two slides.......
Big sorry for your loss.  Go get another dog tomorrow.......

God bless our troops............. 12 years is enough.... BRING UM HOME NOW ......CJ

Years ago when I lived in El Paso.  I had gone through a divorce I could not take my cocker spaniel to my Army assignment.  I had to give him up to an older couple that lived near me. they had lost their almost identical dog in a horrible mishap.  He had forgotten to untie his pet from the rear of his RV.  This had happened years before and he still could barely talk about it. For years after when I would be in El Paso I would visit my friend and ?Scottie?. I really hated to give Scottie up but that dog really helped my friend get over his remorse. I?m sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing, your kind act will keep us all more diligent. 

wincom6 said:
Years ago when I lived in El Paso.  I had gone through a divorce I could not take my cocker spaniel to my Army assignment.  I had to give him up to an older couple that lived near me. they had lost their almost identical dog in a horrible mishap.  He had forgotten to untie his pet from the rear of his RV.  This had happened years before and he still could barely talk about it. For years after when I would be in El Paso I would visit my friend and ?Scottie?. I really hated to give Scottie up but that dog really helped my friend get over his remorse. I?m sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing, your kind act will keep us all more diligent. 

What a sad story.....I can't imagine how your friend felt.  It's an honest mistake any of us could have made, but it must have hurt terribly.  It's nice that you found Scottie a good home, and helped your friend out at the same time.  Sometimes there are happy endings.

Back
Top Bottom