Power Awning Worth It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seon

Need to replace the awning fabric on my 26' TT and thought it maybe the best time to convert it to a power unit.

What say you? Is it worth it?

Out of all the rv's we have had with a power awning only one had any problem and it was my fault, left it out in a wind where it broke. I would install one if you have the money and ability.

We have 2 awnings both are powered and i can operate them from my phone. Its cool and convenient but worth it as a retrofit ? It would depend on cost

I like my manual, I like to remove from trailer and have the extra room walking.

incopaticated??????
Say what? Anybody speak english here?
My power awning is fine after adjusting it as low as possible.

don't bother...I have one, it's ok, but i can tell it's not long before it breaks...I would rather have a manual to be honest. Simple is better.

I think you are the only one who can decide whether additional convenience is worth the cost. Deploying a manual awning is hardly an arduous task, but pushing a button is still easier.

Nice for lazy or incopaticated people. For the rest of us more fancy gadget to fail.

incopaticated....like....Did someone drink too many wobbly pops?

RVing is about vacationing and relaxing, for me and mine. I'm usually watching these "manual" people jack around for half hour after pulling into their site, trying to get situated. Rest assured, I'm silently judging. "Nice manual awning, YOU PEASANTS!"

;)

.... I'm usually watching these "manual" people jack around for half hour after pulling into their site, trying to get situated.

;)
That be me.

images

Well I scored a good buy on a Solera 12v power mount at half the price of a new one. Seller ordered it then shortly after sold his trailer and bought a cl c. He had it in his garage still in the unopened original box over a year then posted it on craigslist.

It is hard to say if you will like it better or not. Both have good points and bad. I finally got an electric awning with this last trailer. I like the ease of pushing a button, but I hate how low the arms are and I can't tie down the awning so I have to put it in and out when I leave camp and come back. Mostly I can't hang my awning lights on it because I have to keep rolling it in when I leave. I'm still ambivalent, but leaning toward my old manual awning.

I looked into a power awning for my rig, but decided that the expense and labor involved were probably not worth it. (to me)
I decided to go with a screen enclosure, instead. We'll see how that works out.

How does the retrofit work? AC or DC?

Do you have to tear the inside of the trailer apart to run a set of wires up to the new awning to power it?

If it entails pulling apart walls to run wires and then patching and painting the interior I'd pass.

How does the retrofit work? AC or DC?

Do you have to tear the inside of the trailer apart to run a set of wires up to the new awning to power it?

If it entails pulling apart walls to run wires and then patching and painting the interior I'd pass.
Watch Youtube "How to convert manual to Solera power awining" youtube.com/watch?v=NM5r8HbJisU which will answer all your questions.
The only glitch I see is when mounting the Solera kit, the idle side is 2" wider (3:24 mark) so will not align with the previous mounting holes; however, I plan to just trim 2" off the tube to be able to use existing location of the mounts.

Last edited:
They are OK if your RV has them I wouldn't upgrade a manual to electric. It is nice not to have to get shoes on when it's wet out or winds come up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom