Power cable adapter for 2kW Generator on Fifth Wheel 50A?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil Hyde

Hopefully this is a simple question with a simple answer.  I am thinking about buying a Honda or Yamaha 2kW generator to run "basic services" on our fifth wheel in case of emergency.  This would be lights, water pump, heater, etc.

What type of adapter would I need for my 50A hook-up connector?

Thanks in advance.

A couple of dog bone adapters, 50 amp to 30 amp and a 30 amp to 15 amp, can be found at wally world or any camping supply store.  You could make a single adapter if you are handy (50 amp to 15 amp) just buy the connectors and a couple feet of wire.

Well there's one on ebay right now that will adapt you down all at once.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-50amp-FEMALE-to-20amp-MALE-Adapter-50A-to-20A-50-amp-to-20-amp-/370592289914

Don't see them for sale elsewhere though so you may have to use multiple adapters as described upthread.

tvman44 is right on the money.

I do the same thing with my little 2kw All Power generator and my Jayco just test what works and what doesn't. But typically all your doing is back charging the batteries to continue boondocking.

Two answers depending on the outlets present on the generator.

IF the outlet is a standard 15/20 amp Duplex recpical you have multiple choices

1: Dogbone with 50 amp outlet and 15 amp plug (I have one)

2: Dogbone with 50 amp outlet and 30 amp plug (You should have one of these anyway) and 2nd 30 to 15  -OR-- A device called a power maximizer that is a 30 amp outlet designed to plug into BOT halves of a 15 amp duplex  This is sold at Geneator stores as a general rule, NOTE: SoME generators, may not like this device, but frankly, I've never seen one that objected to it. IF the geneator is 120 volt ONLY it will not object to it.

IF the generator has a twist lock plug.. The proper adapter for it (Ask at the generator store) to either 30 or 50 amp RV, if you can only adapt to 30, then the standard DOGBONE to your fifty amp rig.

In any case this is all off-the shelf (or wall depending on packaging) hardware, Nothing special, Nothing you need home brew.

The "Dog Bone" or simple plug adapter "will" work but there is something else you need to keep in mind. It is SOP (standard operating procedure) to make sure that the power is turned off at the post breaker when you plug any RV into shore power to prevent arcing or a possible spike/surge that could damage delicate electronics in things like your VERY expensive refridgerator. I haven't seen a 2k inverter/generator like a Honda or Yamaha that has a breaker that you can actually turn off like a residential or RV breaker when you plug into the generator (the new ones may have it but mine does not) and starting the generator with the unit plugged in also isn't the best idea.

If you're reasonably handy you can make your own adapter that has a shut off switch and the appropriate 30 or 50 amp female.  If you do this make sure that you buy cord from the hardware store that is rated for 20amp (10 gauge?) to run to the female 30/50 amp outlet.  Also the on/off switch should be rated for 20amps even though a 2k isn't rated for 20amps.  If you're gonna be using your electric water heater or microwave on the 2k it's gonna take quite a beating over time.  I recently re-wired mine simply because over the last decade it had gotten hot enough times to cause some damage.  Also, when I re-wired mine I found a weather proof box for the on/off switch so now it doesn't matter if it sits out in a frog floating rain storm.

Thanks all for the input.  I forgot about the sheer number of electrical adapters that are available at CW and other places.  I picked up a 50A to 30A dogbone, and the 30A to 15A plug.

As for the breaker issue, I have a surge guard which I think will provide the necessary protection (it has a 30 second delay).

Foto-n-T said:
The "Dog Bone" or simple plug adapter "will" work but there is something else you need to keep in mind. It is SOP (standard operating procedure) to make sure that the power is turned off at the post breaker when you plug any RV into shore power to prevent arcing or a possible spike/surge that could damage delicate electronics in things like your VERY expensive refridgerator.

This is only necessary for 50a shore power connections because there is the possibility that you'll end up, briefly, with an open neutral.  For all other connections you can just plug in.

Back
Top Bottom