Power conv issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oilersman

Okay a new question. I have a series 7100 power converter in my RV. With grid power hooked up I noticed my battery was not getting charged. I had to reset the main breaker in the converter and then the charging would commence at about 13 Volts. Before I hook up my large battery bank I just want to rectify this issue. I am not at home yet so I can't grab all my tools and have a look and see what's going on. I noticed that it will stop charging after about couple of hours. Then again once I reset the main it'll resume again. The fan is making sound as in coming on short periods of time like only 8 seconds then shuts off so maybe that may be an issue. I have never noticed it before to tell you the truth though. Any ideas before I get home and open up the converter and look. I'm almost thinking of just disconnecting the output for the charger anyway and grab a better charger for my large battery Bank that I'm planning to use this summer. We'll just have to charge that separately before I go out boondocking.

Is that a 71xxT?  and is it a parallex?  If the answer is yes yes then the "T" stands for two or timer 
While I do not know the 7100 the 7300 T will go into boost mode when first stareted. then it drops to float.. After a preset TIME... Not may favorite way to do thigns..

What do I like?  Progressive Dynamics Charge Wizard .

Is that the Magnetec or Parallax 71xx series?

In any case, if the charging voltage goes to zero, or anything less than 13.1, I would suspect that the charger has detected an overload and shut down. That typically means a shorted battery cell, such that the charger cannot get it to accept a charge over a couple hour period. If the battery internal resistance doesn't slowly rise as charging continues,  many chargers will shut down rather than risk overcharging that can cause battery fires or explosions. It will also shut down if the charger itself overheats, e.g. lack of fan-driven air circulation.
My first suspicion would be the battery. Do you have another one you could try?

Back
Top Bottom