Power cords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
30A or 50A cord?  The 30's are merely bulky; the 50's can be a real PITA if they are the cheaper grade (less flexible than the better ones).

A powered or manual cord reel is the most convenient. Short of that, I don't think there is much except the technique of manual coiling. Maybe something like this caddy would help, though.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Stromberg-Carlson-HC-75-RV-Hose-and-Cord-Caddy-p/10-1160.htm

50's if you have the room many roll them into a tub.  Then stow the tub.

I roll mine into a DX-Engineering tote bag (wll provide link) This is a heavy canvas beach bag, used to use a rip-stop nylon but I forgot where I stuffed it.. Had the DX-bag so. Well.

Here is the LINK

Now.. Just so you know you can get one very much like it in a lot of places.. I won mine in a drawing.

Let it sit in the sun if you can for about 1/2 hour. It will roll up much easier while it's hot. You can make any size loop/circle.

mine is hardwired and not removable, but I just sorta stuff it into the little locker.....usually I have a rag in one hand...hard to explain but I kinda wipe and push wipe and push...to clean the dirt or whatever off....and then it just pays out when I pull it the next time

for regular extension cords I do a series of slip knots...a trick I learned I think from This Old House several years ago..
sorta like this I found with google, except I don't double it up by folding in half first....mine is just single strand.  If you start from the correct end, you can drop it at the outlet and pull the end to the work site (or visa versa depending on how you wind it up) pulling out only what you need.  Never tangles.
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/no-more-tangled-extension-cords-how-to-wrap-up-your-extension-cord-like-a-contractor/
I wish I would have learned this years before, and I could have back all the wasted time I spent untangling coiled cords.
I don't see why it wouldn't work for a heavier cord.....

I've always been a bit afraid of those reels.  When I was a teenager some friends and I were working on a car in my buddie's grandparents garage.  He had hanging from the rafters a little reel with one of those shielded light bulb hang lights on the end...the ones with an outlet in the handle. like the attached photo...except imagine an old timey incandescent bulb
So we had the light hanging and something plugged into the handle....a drill I think.  The cord was pulled part way out of the reel.  Well,the remaining coil inside the reel built up enough heat to catch fire.
I know the cord was no doubt over amped..and I know that thousands of RV's use them without issue.....but still, a coiled wire carrying a load will be hotter then one stretched out, so....

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 2
I have a small compartment behind my electrical panel, maybe 12" high x 30" wide.  It is not big enough to store much, but I drag one end of the 50A cable there and toss it in.  I then push in 3 or 4 ft, looping into a circle, then repeat.  It forms an ugly coil, bit it gets the job done!  This way, it is safely stowed and I did not have to pick up the entire cord at one time.

I bought 16 foot.. 30 & 50A cords (Amazon). Very handy in all respects when hook-ups are within reach.  Also handy when the 25/30 footers won't quite make it.. in older Parks & CG's ?

Joe

I have a 25' 30amp cord that I coil up and hang on a bike rack hanger I mounted in the front basement area. I also hang a 50' and 25' extension cord.

Attachments

• IMG_20190413_162712050_HDR-2e.jpg
    IMG_20190413_162712050_HDR-2e.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 13
blw2 said:
mine is hardwired and not removable, but I just sorta stuff it into the little locker.....usually I have a rag in one hand...hard to explain but I kinda wipe and push wipe and push...to clean the dirt or whatever off....and then it just pays out when I pull it the next time

for regular extension cords I do a series of slip knots...a trick I learned I think from This Old House several years ago..
sorta like this I found with google, except I don't double it up by folding in half first....mine is just single strand.  If you start from the correct end, you can drop it at the outlet and pull the end to the work site (or visa versa depending on how you wind it up) pulling out only what you need.  Never tangles.
https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/no-more-tangled-extension-cords-how-to-wrap-up-your-extension-cord-like-a-contractor/
I wish I would have learned this years before, and I could have back all the wasted time I spent untangling coiled cords.
I don't see why it wouldn't work for a heavier cord.....

I've always been a bit afraid of those reels.  When I was a teenager some friends and I were working on a car in my buddie's grandparents garage.  He had hanging from the rafters a little reel with one of those shielded light bulb hang lights on the end...the ones with an outlet in the handle. like the attached photo...except imagine an old timey incandescent bulb
So we had the light hanging and something plugged into the handle....a drill I think.  The cord was pulled part way out of the reel.  Well,the remaining coil inside the reel built up enough heat to catch fire.
I know the cord was no doubt over amped..and I know that thousands of RV's use them without issue.....but still, a coiled wire carrying a load will be hotter then one stretched out, so....

My Uncle Luke was a cement contractor.

60 years ago he taught me how to store the extension cords with the Loop in a loop method so that they would easily come apart by pulling on the one end.  He was a very smart fellow. 

What I liked most about him was that he would let you try most anything and then help you if you messed up and needed help.  He even let me tear down an old engine.  I never got it back together correctly, but I did learn a lot to include not being afraid to try.

I coil a lot of cables in my pro sound job.
Some are small like microphone cable and others are like RV 50 & 30 amp cables. All are coiled the same.

The technique is called ?flip coiling? or ?over under?. Works great for hoses too.

Here is a link to instructions. Takes a little practice but well worth it. It prevents those horrible twisted messes some cords end up like.

https://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/flipcoil/howto.html

I learned that from HAM NATION.. Yes works great (The Flip method) I don't use it for my 50 amp so much as it's short but I use it for my longer 30 amp shore cord. Other cords.  Cables. and what not.. Very nice.

Flip method is great, but not for a 30 ft 50A cord.  I do use it for all "normal" extension cords, coax, etc.  It avoids lots of tangles.

Reading the replies, it makes me wonder how much cord RVers typically carry. I have just 30 feet, but in seven years (knock wood) it has been enough in all but one CG... and really, I don't know what in heck the builders of that park were thinking. I looked at a 25 foot extension, but decided the weight vs the chances of needing it wasn't enough to justify carrying it.

I have a 50 Amp RV. My RV has a 25' 50 Amp cord, and I have a 15' extension cord which is also 50 Amp. I also carry a 25' of 30 Amp extension cord just in case.

We do a lot of rallies, so we need to get creative with hookups occasionally. This weekend I didn't need any, but did lend out a 30-amp and 50-amp cord. We also carry a 125 of water hose for the same reason.

HappyWanderer said:
We do a lot of rallies, so we need to get creative with hookups occasionally. This weekend I didn't need any, but did lend out a 30-amp and 50-amp cord. We also carry a 125 of water hose for the same reason.

:)) :))

We have 2 each of the 25-foot cords, plus the 16 footers mentioned earlier..and extra water hoses. Sewer hoses too. This topic ends up being, IMO: It's better to have It, and Not need It (often)... Than to Need It, and NOT have It ?

The extras are coiled and stored using the Velcro straps, in the front compartment.

Our current 5r has a Center Rig.. Docking Port. All hook-ups are there. So.. I Fab'd up a 2 shelf, 1 drawer "cabinet" affair to the dimensions of that compartment.. in there is the 2 16' 30 & 50amp E cords, and the 25' cords, coiled up 15 & 5' of water hose, and all of the leveling blocks . Pieces, spare parts, and common tools are in the drawer. 24' of (Rhino) Sewer hose is in the "Tube", next to the Dump valve. I also modified a Tool Box (Home Depot).. mounted it on the Frame Rail.. so All sewer hose connectors are stored [Outside] the Rig.

Your Rig and it's E cord storage will vary.. but with a little thought & planning ... Do ideas come to mind ?

Just thought I'd share ?

Joe

My FW is 50A and came with a 30 ft cord.  I bought another 15 ft of 50A to hook up at home, but DW made me move the camper to the back yard.  I got a 50 ft 30A cord to hook up at home (price).  I carry the 2  50A cords, but not the 30A unless I will need it.  So far we have only been able to make close weekend trips.

Back
Top Bottom