Power Inverter Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmaus road

I bought a diesel pusher bout 5 months ago and have really been enjoying it. I do have a question about the inverter. When your rolling down the highway and you have the generator off and the inverter on, should you be getting power through all your outlets or just certain outkets. With my last class c rv, when it was cold there was many times were just running the generator to charge cell phones, which is an expensive way to charge a phone.  Thanks for your input.

On my previous rig (Dutch Star), the inverter powered all of the outlets

Back2PA said:
On my previous rig (Dutch Star), the inverter powered all of the outlets

Easy to figure out. Start the RV then go around with either a meter or a hair blow dryer and see which outlets have power. 

Often the TV outlets are disabled when the ignition key is on. Prevents driver watching TV while driving. Otherwise, just try them.

Ernie

The appliances and outlets that are powered by the inverter are normally determined by the size of the inverter and the battery bank that supplies it. As said, testing is the best way to find out what works. Our current coach has two smaller inverters, one for the residential fridge, and another that powers outlets for our Internet hotspot/WiFi system, cell charging, and my wife's medical equipment. If we need heavier draw items like the A/C's or microwave while underway or boondocking, we start the generator.

The answer is "just certain outlets", but in some coaches that's all or nearly all of them.  In others, it may be just a few or whatever is on the one branch circuit that the inverter supplies.  Higher-end models with larger inverters & battery banks usually power nearly all of them. 

For some reason many RV owners worry excessively about genset fuel consumption.  It's not a big deal, especially at light loads (a few hundred watts) where the genset is barely idling.  Typically that would require only about 0.25-0.3 gallons/hour. That's about 75 cents/hour at todays prices.  If that's not worth having the power you would like, try slowing down 3 mph. That should save enough fuel to pay for the generator usage.  ;)

The first thing to determine is whether you really have an inverter (and its output size) as opposed to a converter (or both)!! If you have a converter as well, it is very likely that not all outlets will not be powered by any inverter but only selected ones. Knowing the output size of any inverter and your battery bank size may also give you a clue.
Knowing the make and model of the RV will also help!!!

In other words it varies depending on the brand and model of RV, some do all the outlets, some do only a select few outlets.  In my coach the inverter powers about half the outlets.

There can also be significant differences in how factory installed, dealer installed, and previous owner installed inverters are wired, so even the brand and model may not be meaningful.

Thanks for the help everyone. The seller added the inverter before I bought it and I?ve tested a few. So I was just wondering if it was installed correctly. Very few outlets have power. So thanks for all the input. Y?all are greatly appreciated.

It could be that when it was installed the installer simply picked one existing breaker circuit to install it on and thus only a few outlets are covered. It should probably have a sub panel I think, but....

As Stu says, DIY or dealer inverter installs typically just pick one or two branch circuits and move those to inverter power. You get whatever is on those circuits.  Often it's either the kitchen utility circuit so that microwave and countertop appliances work, or the lounge area outlet circuit, which may be an extension of the bath area circuit. Both if you are lucky.

My coach inverter was factory installed.  It is a 1000 watt MSW Xantrex Pro. It only serves the entertainment centers and one receptacle by the nagivator's seat.

My inverter was factory installed. It is a 2000 watt MSW Tripp-lite Inverter. The Inverter powers all 120 volt outlets including the microwave, TV, entertainment equipment, refrigerator and central vacuum. It does not power the air conditioner or water heater.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom