Power loss at ignition.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pauleyo72

Hi all and thanks in advance! I have a 1994 Fleetwood Pace Arrow and while using my levelers I lost power at my ignition. It is completely dead and I'm missing parts of my manual. I can start and run the motor using the Aux start.

The levellers have an electric motor running the main pumping system from a seperate reservoir that is directly connected to the house battery 'usually'. A hydraulic line is also connected to the hydraullic pump reservoir from the hyd distributor system. Ideally, the levellers are best operated while engine is running.
My guess is that the battery ran low. Should be a simple fix as charging the battery using an external charger. Connecting to external power usually charges only house battery, main battery is charged by the alternator while engine running. If you can start the engine, a small ride of 30 mins should get the battery up.
The explanation above is for an Oshkosh chasis on a Southwind which has backup to backup setup. But your case may not be that different for a Pace Arrow.

The levellers have an electric motor running the main pumping system from a seperate reservoir that is directly connected to the house battery 'usually'. A hydraulic line is also connected to the hydraullic pump reservoir from the hyd distributor system. Ideally, the levellers are best operated while engine is running.
My guess is that the battery ran low. Should be a simple fix as charging the battery using an external charger. Connecting to external power usually charges only house battery, main battery is charged by the alternator while engine running. If you can start the engine, a small ride of 30 mins should get the battery up.
The explanation above is for an Oshkosh chasis on a Southwind which has backup to backup setup. But your case may not be that different for a Pace Arrow.
Great advice and much appreciated! However I have power on both system batteries I have been monitoring since purchase. My issue is more of a fuse or fusible link that may have failed and possible location.

If the chassis battery is dead, it's not clear what kind of monitoring you've been doing. Did you measure the battery status with a multimeter?

Great advice and much appreciated! However I have power on both system batteries I have been monitoring since purchase. My issue is more of a fuse or fusible link that may have failed and possible location.
All individual jacks have sensors and siring connectors on them. Difficult to reach.
The reservoir for the system has piston pumps attached and have connectors to the pumps and the electric motor next to them. Fuses and switches are mainly in the main fuse box usually next to batteries or in a secondary remote panel. I believe it takes 25 or 30A. Good luck. Its a messy and very difficult trace.

If the chassis battery is dead, it's not clear what kind of monitoring you've been doing. Did you measure the battery status with a multimeter?
Yes I have a multi meter set up to monitor full time (to be clear this is not a battery power loss more of a fusible link power drop). I am connected to 50a power supply so they are currently charging. I just found my 2 chassis solonoids are reading half voltage (6 volts). I believe this is where my problem is, I'm going pull them off in the morning and go from there.

Maybe I can clear things up..
I was running the engine and started putting the jacks down when they touched the ground the engine died and I have no power at ignition now.
I can start and run off Aux start switch (which I used to get the jacks to retract). My confusion is to why they would put a main power fuse in this system and the location of said fuse.

This is where I'm looking.

Attachments

• PXL_20210910_230953898~2.jpg
    PXL_20210910_230953898~2.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20210910_230959088.jpg
    PXL_20210910_230959088.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom