Power of tens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
No, this is not a math discussion.  :)

Prior to the Qz rally I had managed to tear the cartilege/meniscus in one knee. The orthopedic surgeon gave me the option of a cortizone shot or arthoscopic surgery. I was concerned the shot would mask what was happening, and declined. Also, having had the surgery on my other knee, and having experienced a long recovery period to become mobile again, I declined the surgery.

I spent approx 2 weeks in a recliner, day and night - the only way I could relax and not be in a lot of pain. I didn't want to miss Qz, and made myself as comfortable as I could be for the the trip. While at Qz I hobbled around the RV tent and came across someone demonstrating a Tens machine. It's a little box with wires that hook up to a couple of conductive gel pads applied to the skin, and applies electical stimulus via the conductive pads to tell the brain to block out the pain. I was walking the next day, although I still had a tough time sitting in a car or driving.

Things continued to improve (or be masked) by the regular use of the Tens machine. I still get days when it's painful, but I merely inject an additional use of the machine. I talked with a physician friend on the weekend and related the story, half expecting him to tell me to have surgery. But his reaction was "as long as you're not in pain, don't worry about it".

I thought the little machine was expensive at the time but, given the relief it's given me, I have to say it was well worth the money.

Years ago, Tom, my wife fell and broke her ankle quite badly.  (She's given to falling and breaking bones :(.)

The ankle was very slow to hear; in fact after a few months the Dr. was at his wits end because the healing process seemed to have stopped and the bone was not healed.

She went to a physiotherapist who was old enough to have seen it all and the physio used "a Tens" of the day, and soon thereafter the bone was healed.  Seems that the current produced heat in the bones and stimulated blood flow where blood flow is normally not copious.

Hope you continue to get relief.

Ciao,

Doug

Interesting Doug. I recall a chirorpractor using a Tens machine on a joint that was particularly painful. At the time ge said something about the healing effects of eddy currents, but I thought it was hogwash. That joint 'healed' and has given me no pain since.

Ron

I was skeptical when I sat down for a free 15 minute demo. Afterwards I walked around the big tent and the flea market, then went back to the tent and bought it.

Yes it is Ron, and before we left for the trip Fred told me "you'll even find a fix for your knee".

I've got the same problem, infact, I was scheduled for the knee arthroscopy this morning.  I did a GOOGLE search on the topic and one of the sites that came up was:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/booklet/view_report.cfm?Thread_ID=15&topcategory=Knee

I downloaded the Knee Arthroscopy Exercise Guide and started doing them. Within a week the pain was almost gone. I called the Dr and asked is the proccedure really necessary. He had me come in and said keep up the exercises and see how long you are pain free. So far it's been getting better daily. I am to the point where I can go up and down stairs with NO pain.

Result, the surgery was canceled last friday.

Chet

That's fascinating Chet. Those are essentially the same excercises the therapist had me do after the last surgery.

Tom and Chet,

I think a trip to DV would be very good theropy for the bad knees.  If anybody questions that logic just tell them Ron's advise. ;D ;D

<<came across someone demonstrating a Tens machine>>

I've used one for several years now, I have problems with my hip when sitting for long journeys and it really helps. They use them in England for childbirth, much better than drugs!

Colette

Colette said:
They use them in England for childbirth, much better than drugs!
So I'm told by a midwife friend of ours.

TRANSUBCUTANEOUS NERVE STIMULATOR..........ACROSS BELOWV SKIN NERVE STIMULATOR..........BEEN USING IT FOR TWENTY TWO YEARS..........BROKE BACK, INJURURED SPINAL CORD...............PARALYZED................COULD NOT HAVE SURVIVED WITH OUT ONE

Back
Top Bottom