Power Steering Help, please ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sing4Parts

Well, it happened. We got towed into Freightliner yesterday after power steering suddenly failed while driving down the road (all else seemed fine). They want $9,000.00 (YIKES) for PS pump and compressor. Vickers pump 02335910K, Caterpillar compressor 1507638. Freightliner says "removed pump from compressor and found pump drive was sheared off, needs compressor and pump." 2001 Dutch Star 2095, Freightliner XC, Cat 3196B (that we have sold and were on the way to have one leveling jack repaired before delivering to new owner). Can anybody offer any help or advice? We don't have $9,000.00 to spend if there are alternatives. Thanks – Jackie

Yikes. I would call around to other shops to get another estimate. $9k may be the low price, I don't know, but at least you will have an idea if you are being fleeced or not.

Well a remanufactured compressor is $2500 to $3000 and the power steering pump new out of box on ebay is $300 so yes you are getting taken for a BIG RIDE I believe.

My guess is the shop quoted a brand new compressor and they surely aren't selling it at cost, so the $9k may be legitimately high. You need to explore less expensive alternatives, e.g. reconditioned or even used parts, and that may mean going to an independent shop rather than a Freightliner franchise. Talk with the shop to see if they will work with you on a less pricey repair. If not, you may have to look elsewhere and pay for another tow.

Not sure where you are but maybe try a search for truck repair shops around there. I often do on my maps on my phone.

There are a bunch of semis on the road and they may be able to help you.

My guess is the shop quoted a brand new compressor and they surely aren't selling it at cost, so the $9k may be legitimately high. You need to explore less expensive alternatives, e.g. reconditioned or even used parts, and that may mean going to an independent shop rather than a Freightliner franchise. Talk with the shop to see if they will work with you on a less pricey repair. If not, you may have to look elsewhere and pay for another tow.
Oh, they quoted new for everything. After a talk with the service manager, he agreed to use a different brand of compressor and our old power steering pump is probably okay – bill dropped by more than 50%. Amazing!

There are a bunch of semi repair shops in the area. Of course, we' have to have it towed again (big $$). I had a "little talk" with the service manager (see reply above). Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom