Power Steering Lag, Wandering, Loose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjanulaitis

I've got a new 24 foot E-350 which seems very loose. Since I almost always tow, I added leafs before my first trip. The leafs made the rear end ride much better but the front end is very sloppy. The power steering seems to have some lag. When I hit bumps is seems like there is lag in feeling the bump in the steering. It also seems like the RV is constantly wandering or hunting on the road. I've got a diesel Excursion which weights 8K lbs. that's tight as Porsche (I've probably been driving trucks too long :) ) Is the loose ride normal? If so are there mods that can be done to tighten it up?

No, it shouldn't be that loose, though it ain't a Porche either.

Did you have it re-aligned after adding rear leafs? Seems like that could easily change the balance and the front end geometry. And what are you towing that made the rear end sag?  Could this be pushing the front end of the E350 around?

If the front end is in spec, I would suggest adding a panhard rod to the front suspension. It will do wonders for tightening up a leaf spring front suspension. Unfortunately, I don't know offhand of a source for one tht fits an E350.

It seems that Damon has simular issues with the Workhorse chassis units, I know mine is (or was) like that and the 39 foot intruder across from me has the same issues, very sloppy front end

he added a Davis Track bar to his, said it really helped (they are not all that expensive and fairly easy to install) I put the Tru-Center stearing stablizer on mine (Blu-Ox, not currently in production while they re-design a part or two)  I'm likely going to add the tru-track bar as well.  He said his settled right down... Mine it really helped.

I kind of like the shotgun approach, throw lots of things at it,  In this case though I'm doing it one piece at a time

The addition of the leafs did infact throw off the alignment. Seemed to drive straight, but the steering wheel was right of center 20 degrees after the mod. I just got the front end aligned today. Steering wheel is straight now...maybe 2-4 degrees right of center. Seems to drive a little better but not quite as tight as I'd like it. I'll start reading up on the track bars. Thanks.

Just a guess, but the DELAY you mention in the bump affecting the steering seems to indicate NOT a steering system problem, but more likely a reaction in your leaf spring suspension.? Having a "side to side" reaction (what you may be thinking is a steering looseness/correction problem) is probably your front or rear axles moving side to side on relation to the frame, requiring delayed steering corrections and leading to oversteering.

In the articles here on this Forum is one addressing steering problems.? Your first choice is pretty much a toss-up between a front or rear Trac Bar - each of which will probably correct most of your problem.? Your chassis should already have a steering stabilizer.

One of the biggest problems I went through is alignment shops and technicians seem to know next to nothing about suspension add-ons.? Even my area's oldest and highly regarded suspension shops dealing with big trucks made no suggestions for additions - this isn't right.? DO NOT rely on shops which aren't conversant in these things - motorhomes are not built or driven like school buses or big trucks.? I also had problems with the advice and installations at Camping World - read all the various Forums and comments to be sure you understand the subject before going!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom