Power steering pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shearhawk

While I am at it, when I am at the end of steering stop, left or right, I have a high pitch squeeling sound.  Could my steering pump be on the way out?

Thanks,
Randy

Jeff is probably right.  If you don't have time to check it out properly  take a bar of dry soap and rub it on the belt as much as you can  then start it up and see if the sound leaves.  Should that not quiet it down.  Start checking your pulley

The noise could be just the pressure relief valve opening to bypass fluid back to the reservoir.

When you turn your steering wheel, a valve in the steering gear directs fluid under pressure to a cylinder to assist in steering.  When the spindles reach their stops, the cylinder can't move any further, although the valve is still trying to send fluid to it.  Since the fluid is not compressable, something has to give, and to protect the system, the manufacturer includes a relief valve that opens at higher pressures than are normally experienced during normal steering operation.  Fluid flowing across this valve sometimes emits the squealing sound that you heard. In such a case, the relief valve is doing exactly what it was designed for, and should not cause you to worry.  Of course, a slipping belt can also make a squealing sound, but it sounds like you've inspected that possibility and eliminated it.

John in SW Ohio

When you reach the end of travel, don't keep forcing.  Ease back a hair and reduce the load on the belt and the engine.  You will turn just as quickly.

Back
Top Bottom