Power tech 7000 genset on 1995 Newmar mountain aire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ken martel

Hi everyone!
Just joined because we just bought this amazing motorhome, but we know diddly about the systems and so we have issues, most of which we can solve. But the biggest at this point is the genset.

It ran fine on a 2 day trip but on a short trip it decided not to start. On the dash are preheat button start button, and light. Usually it would start and the light would come on. Not this time. Repeated trying but nothing so filled with fuel thinking maybe that was it but no, so left it parked. Yesterday I went out to the site and tried it, It started immediately dash light was on, then it died after a minute and unable to start.

My question is that the instructions I downloaded speaks of an LED light that will show the diagnostic codes when it won't start, where is that light? Or is there another method of troubleshooting?

If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. I am very tech savvy and mechanically inclined.

Thanks
Ken

If that is a 1995 vintage genset, it probably doesn't have any self-diagnostics.  Is the manual you downloaded for that model/spec-level or the current CD7000 model?  If you can, find the actual model number designation on the genset and see if Powertech has a manual for it. By the way (and just to be sure), are we talking about a diesel genset?  I think the Powertech 7000 was only a diesel model, but there were both gas and diesel Mountainaires back in 1995 so need to be sure.

https://www.powertechgenerators.com/pages/power-tech-mobile-generator-manuals

Sorry, I am not familiar with Powertechs so can't help with the diagnosis except in very general terms.  Many larger gensets will shut down if  oil level is low or if the power generation components are not producing power or proper power, so those are some things to check. Also fuel and air filters.

Hey Gary

Thanks for your reply. Yes I think it is vintage and so I will follow your advice going out to check again today, I will post on any changes.

Thanks
Ken

update;

so I went out again and this time the genset ran flawlessly. I have no idea whats going on, a bit of a quandary. All I can do now is monitor everything and hope, thanks for the help.

ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom