Power trailer off of truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevesquires

Hey all,

I'm taking a long trip and was hit with two questions as I prepared that I didn't know the answer to:  when the TT is on the road plugged into the truck power are the slide outs, lights, etc powered by the truck or the battery?  Second, does the truck battery "charge" the TT battery while it is connected to the TT?

We will be traveling far and we might want to use the bathroom in the TT and I was worried if the battery would go dead.

Thanks ahead of time!

Everything runs off the RV battery but the truck keeps that battery charged while motoring down the road. When I travel and if we need to open a slide, I usually do it while still hooked up to the truck and with the truck running. Then I disconnect. I unplug the electrical from the truck during the night just so there's no chance of draining the truck battery.

NORMALLY the truck will charge the TT battery.  Most need a fuse, relay, or wire connected to do so.  Check your plug at the rear bumper to make sure you have battery power there before you head out.

Ok - so the truck acts like a generator of sorts for the TT. As long as I run the bump out while the truck is connected and running it should be no problem getting the slide in and out - correct?

Also watch some trucks have constant 12V at the trailer plug so if left plugged in for extended period you might discharge you battery on the truck. So I suggest if you camping hitched up that you unplug the trailer from the truck at night and hook up again in the morning.

If you're doing to depend on it you should have some way of making sure that the charge circuit is actually working.  Either put an ammeter in the circuit or check the voltage at the trailer with the truck running.

Back
Top Bottom