Pre-Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhillyPhan

Hi- 
  I have what my husband calls a "fantasy" about wanting to travel by RV.  I think I have finally convinced him to give it a try this May.  My only camping experience was with my family when I was 16.  After a year when my father was an exchange teacher in England, we borrowed a tent and set off for a seven week trip on the continent.  My parents did not have much of a plan and my father could not figure out how to set up the tent, but of course, it turned out to be a wonderful experience---at least in retrospect. 
    Obviously, I would like this first RV experience to be a good one.  My husband (a physician-scientist) has a conference in San Francisco this May, followed by another conference a week later in Seattle.  Our plan was to drive up the coast, stopping at B&B's.  (I must interject here that I had to convince my husband to stay at a B&B 25 years ago and we've been doing so ever since.  I also had to convince him to go on a four day hike in New Zealand in 2002 which ended up being the highlight of our trip Down Under.  I guess you can figure out the dynamic here.)
    So, my first questions will be about renting an RV in San Francisco and returning it in Seattle and whether this trip makes any RV sense---especially for a first RV trip.  I will explore the Forum to see if I can find suitable places to post my questions.
      BTW, I'm a semi-retired lawyer and we live just outside of Philadelphia.  Our sons are now 23 and 19, so we are pretty much empty nesters.  Notwithstanding my husband's initial skepticism about some of my travel ideas, we both love to travel and travel well together---once the planning is done.  Because of his work, my husband travels internationally and all over the U.S.  We try to tack our vacations onto the beginning or end of his work travel when we can. 
    Did any of you experienced RVers have to initially convince your spouse or significant other to give RVing a try?
    This seems like a very helpful website and I hope to be able to actually contribute some day.
Suzanne Fluhr

Hi Suzanne and welcome. Feel free to look around and by all means ask those questions.

I didn't have to do any convincing to get my other half to try RVing. We both came to the idea together, but that's a story for another time.

Welcome to the RV Forum. You have found the right place to get those answers to your questions. Please look around the forum,  join in on any of the on going discussions, start new discussions, or ask questions. Thanks for joining us.

We got our motorhome last year.  We hadn't camped in years, but when we did it was primitive and uncomfortable.  I had a good time, but it was awful having to unpack all the "necessary" crap I had to take along to make it tolerable.  I've wanted an rv for a long time.  A small TT would have been great.  Last year dh and I saw a few Class B's and C's on the way home from weekend at a friend's crowded 1-bathroom lake house, and we started talking about how nice it would be to park a motorhome in front of the lake house and have our own space.  DH had just quit smoking and started eating large amounts of popsicles instead.  It was when I reminded him he could drive down the road eating popsicles from our rv freezer that he started seriously considering a motorhome purchase.

We don't fulltime, but so far we have taken it out at least one weekend each month we've had it, sometimes more.  After we get to our destination and start relaxing we just grin and say "this is so cool!"  ;D

So, my first questions will be about renting an RV in San Francisco and returning it in Seattle and whether this trip makes any RV sense---especially for a first RV trip.  I will explore the Forum to see if I can find suitable places to post my questions.

It seems pretty routine.  I would try either El Monte Rents or Cruise America, both at big outfits and have branches around the country.  Google them for their websites.  Online reservations are bookable.

Renting is a great way to get a taste of the RV lifestyle.

Travel along the NW coast is a dreamy experience. BUT, hywy 1 from San Francisco north is a nightmare!! Pick up 101 further north and you will find the coast heavenly. Sea Perch CG South of Yachats, OR is right on the beach. Outdoor Resurts CG at n edge of Newport, OR is very up scale...phone them to find out if a class C can come in, they may only allow class A rigs.

Many Cgs now have wi fi, often free. see our libraries for the locations of theses files.

Consider a RV factory tour just N of Eugene, OR. Country Coach or Monaco.

Thanks for your replies.  For Valentine's Day my husband has agreed to try the RV trip and to desist from any "I told you so's" even if the trip is a nightmare.  I will try to do my homework to avoid that scenario.
  When you say that:
"Travel along the NW coast is a dreamy experience. BUT, hywy 1 from San Francisco north is a nightmare!! Pick up 101 further north and you will find the coast heavenly."
  Did you mean to take highway 101 out of SF and to pick up Rte. 1 further north?  If so, where would you recommend cutting over?  We took Route 1 north once to go to Muir Woods by car, so I can imagine that it would not be all that pleasant in an RV. 
  Again, I really appreciate the advice and encouragement.

Access to CA-1 north of Bodega Bay gets a bit complicated what with length restrictions and a generally lousy road.  If you must do it, avoid the section between Gualula and Bodega entirely and do NOT go southbound on it.  For your first RV trip, stick to US 101 and see redwoods and the old Victorians of Eureka, lots of things to see and do without going thru a whiteknuckle experience.  Save CA-1 for a time when you are an experienced RVer.

For your first RV trip, stick to US 101 and see redwoods and the old Victorians of Eureka, lots of things to see and do without going thru a whiteknuckle experience.

Yes, that part of 1 is not for a novice RVer.  I agree with Carl that there is much to enjoy along 101.  Save 1 for other areas that are more comfortable driving.  And enjoy yourselves.  That's a great area.

ArdraF

It doesn't look like this RV trip is meant to be.  Cruise America wanted a $2,000 surcharge (on top of the regular price) for a one way rental from San Francisco to Seattle.  I tried another website www.rvn4fun.com.  They had good prices, but----nothing available for our travel time--5/23 to 5/30/07.  I also tried El Monte which does one way rentals, but not to Seattle. 
  I guess the positive to come out of all this is that I found this website and my husband has dodged a bullet this time, but agrees that his Valentine's Day promise is still good for a future RV trip.
  I really appreciate everyone's input.  Happy Trails.

Suzanne,

Sorry to hear you weren't able to find a rental. But your raincheck gives you something to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom