Preowned 2014 Sunstar removals, upgrades and repairs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SLOweather

We picked up our 2104 Sunstar from the dealer back in late September. In about 4 weeks, I did repairs, removals, replacements and upgrades, similar to work that took me 5 years on our 87 Suncruiser. But then again, I knew what we wanted.

A lot of this is remediating the P.O.'s cr@ppy (nos so)handiwork.

The house batteries were shot, so I negotiated a $250 credit with the dealer and applied that to a 100AH BattleBorn Li battery with built-in BMS.

To keep an eye on the battery, a Victron energy monitor
A Xantrex 2kW sine wave inverter, and I made a custom 3 breaker panel for the 3 circuits it feeds,
Removed and replaced the Winegard In-Motion satellite antenna with a new one. (Subject for another thread), and added a Dish Wally, with an external USB drive for DVR.
GlobalStar satellite phone and car kit, roof antenna
Removed the Viper alarm that didn't really work and was a HORRIBLE installation.
More 12v and USB outlets.
LED retrofitss in all the 12 volt fixtures.
Redid the crappy 2U DIN pioneer dash entertainment center installation.
Fixed the power mirrors,
Converted the cabinet over the kitchen TV to house some tech (computer, GPS, cellular router, and wired the HDMI from the computer to the TV. Added roof antennas for the router and computer GPS. We run Street Atlas on the road so the passenger can navigate.
Fixed the stock TV antenna system that he butchered, and replaced the broken TV antenna.
Replaced the missing dash radio antenna. Apparently removed because they had SiriusXM.
Replacing the SiriusXM antenna. He glued down a mag mount antenna on the fiberglass roof, so it didn't have a ground plane and doesn't work very well. I have a 10" vertical marine antenna to replace it.

He butchered the MobileVision rear view system, and used the cable for a poor quality aftermarket camera in the same location that he ran to the Pioneer system. I have a replacement MobileVision ordered, complete with the side view cameras. Under the dash is already wired for turn signal control, so I sprung for the whole deal.

I added a Maldol motorized antenna mount for the 2m/440 amateur radio that we mainly use for APRS tracking.

There's gotta be more. I'll add to this thread when I remember it.

Oh, and since this rig has a FHT fitting for the house water and tank fill, I had to build up a spare ShurFlow pump and a couple of short hoses to pump from a jug into the tank. I've dumped thousands of gallons of jug water into moho water tanks over the years, and we used that pump a few times on our 1800 mile shakedown cruise.

OK, John...

Yesterday I installed a marine SiriusXM antenna and replaced the coax on the GlobalStar antenna.  Here's a pic of the new SXM antenna, and the ones for GlobalStar and the radio. The pucks are the P.O.s SXM and GPS. Barely visible to the left of the GlobalStar antenna is an amateur 2M/440 antenna on a motorized layover mount. The while plate is a 3 cable Winegard cable entry cover.

Attachments

• 181204antennas.jpg
    181204antennas.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 13
Here's are new Winegard In-Motion satellite antenna, the cell router antenna, and the compurer GPS antenna, the inverter and breaker box under the kitchen counter next to the door, and the monitor panel area with the new Victron battery monitor and inverter control.

Attachments

• 181204inverter.jpg
    181204inverter.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 181204satcellgpsantennas.jpg
    181204satcellgpsantennas.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 181204monitorpanel.jpg
    181204monitorpanel.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Forum statistics