Pressure regulators and Voltage monitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OldSoldier

I'm sure that this has been discussed many times, but I need some help.  I have read many times in many places that CS water pressure varies greatly from CG to CG, sometimes dangerously high and sometimes totally inadequately.

As a matter of policy I travel with about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a tank of fresh water to meet short-term "none available" or short term "this is gross" situations.

Now to my questions.

1.  I remember seeing recommendations for good quality pressure regulators, but can't seem to find them with a search.  I live in a small town with only a Home Depot and an Ace Hardware.  Ace doesn't have much of anything.  I need a recommendation.  I have a standard 'inline" regulator but have heard that they are subject to failure.  Any Ideas or recommendations?

2.  I guess the samethings apply to CG electrical power and accurate monitoring is also a recommended practice.  I need recommendations for an electrical power monitoring system, simple, accurate and reasonably priced.  I have a DVM (Digital Voltmeter) but I keep forgetting to move it from my shop to the camper.

Thanks for all your help.
OldSoldier

I just bought a pressure regulator from Home Depot last nite for 29.95 that is preset to 50# and allows about 6 gallons per minute of flow.  Much better than the RV ones.  Add a couple of fittings from the wall and you are ready to hook up to the water line!!

For Electric, there are several devices that check for proper phasing, over or under voltage and are great life savers.  I wouldn't be with out one after having a $500 bill for a power surge in a good campground.  Camping World, ugh, sells some but the ones I like are installed in the power compartment. Automatic Electric, progressive ?, and others make them.

Small towns they can be hard to find, Big cities with good water supplies they can be hard to find,  I found two, yes, two, here in Detroit (We have good pressure regulation on our water system

Checked both Home Depot and ACE web sites, got nowhere fast, One more place to look  Very lucky

Watts regulator on E-bay

Another brand on E-bay

The search results page when I asked at E-bay

Visit the first or second link, print out the item description and visit a plumbing store near you  You can try ACE as they can order, Home Depot may be able to special order it too.  Try to get threaded fittings lessen you are good at sweating copper

I have a WATTS myself,  I thought to look at E-bay because the store was preparing to sell it that way

Now for electrical monitors:  Additional volt meters can be forund for as little as a dollar (Dollar store) but more likely ten bucks

You can and should get one of those 3-light things that shows it the poliarity is proper  I have seen black and white reversed (they usually get green right) I have also seen black and green reversed... once (On my house) by a technician who, when the inspecting installer got back to the shop, most likely had a SERIOUS hemmroid problem (That was funny, not dangerous, just blew fuses)

For automatic monitoring one of the plug-in surge supressor controllers is good.  The only issue you may have with them is they sometimes shut off power due to low voltage,,, Some of them are a bit paranoid about what is low voltage though

If you can't find the one James Godward recommended, any "whole house" regulator by Watts or Cash-Acme will do. I believe ACE carries the Cash Acme line, but you will probably have to ask them to order it for you, since few stores stock them. They should get it in a couple days, though, from the ACE distribution center.

Likewise, Home Depot can order one if they don't stock it.    You will have to add adapters to 3/4 inch hose fittings, but every Home Depot should carrythoose and most Ace hardware stores too.

Power regulators and monitors are readily available but not inexpensive. Think in terms of $300-$500. A Surge Guard at Camping World lists for $289 (30A) or $39 (50A) before sale pricing or Presidents Club discount.  Portable Surge Guard. The nextstep up includes automatic regulation as well as surge protection, look into a Hughes Autoformer for around $500.

We've never had either of these devices and so far have lost one VCR, which was covered under warranty anyway. On the other hand, there is a rig across the road from me that moved to this park after suffering a major hit in an older park across town.  I don't know the extent of the damages but the mobile RV tech worked a couple hours to get the coach's power back on the air. It was completely out when brought here.

There is an alterntive contrary to all of our beloved opinions. I got friendly with a water equipment vendor at the Spartan Homecoming rally. He says that he has never used a pressure regulator. RVIAA specs call for 125psi and his (personal use) filters do some psi reduction as well. Because one of my filter canisters broke I have been going "naked" for the last month. No problems even without the filter pressure reduction.

Do not ever hook up to the water supply in Salt Lake City then.  Their system is pressurized by the Wasatch Front.  I have seen it blow out a trailer water supply.

There are a few spots in MT that will do the same.  I think both Butte and Anaconda are a couple and I seem to remember a few others but CRS has me right now!!

This is off subject Tate - but I have only about two more eye doctor visits early this month.  Would like that Daisy and I could meet up with you. 

We have some packages being delivered this week too??  Looks like anytime from Saturday [9th] to the middle of next week would be good.  If we can get our act together and the rig ready to go - would like to take it out for a week or two - end of Sept and/or early Oct.

Could meet you for lunch??..  Not sure where Huachuca Mountain Village is but if you could choose a place close to you or between us to have lunch - that would be great.

We are in Vista View Resort just across from Dillon's and UPS on RT 90 E.

A good e-mail address for us is [email protected].  Don't want to put phone numbers on an open forum.

Fred,

Becki and I are on the road for the whole month.  We are in Klamath, CA now and headed north then east and back home end of the month.

I have intermittent access to the internet, but will be here for the next 2 days in any case.

Email me at [email protected]

Tate

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom