Prevent water evaporating from toilet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debra17

Our travel trailer is at a storage lot. I forgot to put extra water in the toilet, so when we went there yesterday, the water had evaporated from the toilet and the seal dried out and it will not hold water now. I need to go back there today and put some vegetable oil on it to see if that will lubricate it enough. If not I guess we will need to put in a new seal.

I know that many RVs are stored for months at a time. What do people do to keep the toilet from drying out? Appreciate any suggestions, thanks!

It may have leaked out by the seal. You can try cleaning the gasket using a green pad. You could probably do 90% of it.
You can put around 3” of water in it then add a little bit of vegetable oil. Someone today also said to use baby oil.

Oils will destroy the seal if it's rubber. Best to just replace it.

Filling the toilet halfway and closing the lid has been fine for us when we've had our rig in storage - for months and months. Me thinks your seal is leaking.

My seal is 24 years old and still holds water for extended periods,, Use a standard household toilet brush and while holding the pedal down and water flowing,, use the brush in a circular motion to clean the upper and the lower side of the seal.. Works great for me..>>>Dan

Thanks all for the replies. Based on past posts on the forum recommending it, I have been putting olive oil in the toilet periodically to lubricate the seal. Maybe that isn’t good. Yesterday I did try to clean with the toilet brush around the seal but didn’t help. I suppose if the seal has to be replaced anyway, it won’t hurt to try the oil and see if it stops the leak. It hasn’t leaked the water into the tank prior to this so that was why I was hoping the seal may just be dry. We have our hands full right now so hope we can fix it with the oil and cleaning around seal.

I squirt a tad of Dawn dish soap in mine, seems to add a barrier to reduce evaporation, doesn't hurt the system to the best of my knowledge.

We use the Saran Wrap method when we close up our Florida home for the summer. Works fine to prevent evaporation, but won't help if the bowl seal leaks on an RV toilet.

Oils will destroy the seal if it's rubber. Best to just replace it.

Filling the toilet halfway and closing the lid has been fine for us when we've had our rig in storage - for months and months. Me thinks your seal is leaking.
In that case it's best to avoid deficating in the toilet as it contains animal oils.

In that case it's best to avoid deficating in the toilet as it contains animal oils.

That's slightly different from smearing the seal in vaseline, motor oil, or even cooking oils.

If you want to grease up your rubber toilet seals for whatever reason, consider a silicone lubricant that doesn't contain oils. Point is, one shouldn't have to lube their toilet seals to keep water in the bowl. The seal probably needs to be changed.

Back
Top Bottom