problem with l.p.g detector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.


Feb 5, 2016
If i'm plugged into shore power where the site has 50 amp supply and I have a dogbone that goes from 50 amp to 30 amp which is what my coach uses  and I disconnect my main and auxiliary batteries so that they don't over charge and by doing so my  detector would sound the alarm. I would then turn on the aux. switch and it would stop. When I arrived at home I connected my r.v to my shore power which is a 30 amp outlet had the detector on and it would not sound the alarm and my aux switch was in the off position. Now when plugged into shore power and the aux battery is low but the switch is in the off position would that be the cause of the alarm to sound does the detector pull power from the aux battery bypassing the disconnect switch.  Hope this makes sense and any help would be greatly appreciated


Well-known member
Mar 21, 2009
You should not disconnect the batteries. Being on 50 amp will not overcharge your batteries.  Furthermore,  you should leave the aux switch on all the time if you are plugged in. The only time to turn the aux switch off is when you are leaving the coach not plugged in. The converter needs to be connected to the batteries to maintain the batteries at full-charge..
And yes, propane detectors are usually connected directly to the battery.

Kevin Means

Site Team
Aug 3, 2010
Hereford, Arizona
The charging systems in many older RVs could overcharge the batteries, and often did if they weren't monitored and maintained well. They really were dumb chargers. These days, three stage "smart chargers" are reasonably priced and do a far better job of monitoring and charging batteries. They are wise investments.

You didn't say what type of RV you have, so I don't know what kind of charger you have. However, unless I were going to be away from the RV for a long period of time, I would not turn off the battery disconnect switch. If I were going to be away for an extended period of time, I'd ensure that the batteries were fully charged, then I'd disconnect and/or remove them and leave them on a trickle charger.



Well-known member
May 7, 2015
Western Kentucky
The LP detector does run off battery power, and is often wired directly with an in line fuse.  A low battery WILL make it beep.

Simply being plugged into a 50A outlet with a 50A -->30A converter changes nothing.  Your main breaker in the camper limits you to only 30A.  As mentioned, if the camper ls made this century, the converter will probably not overcharge the batteries.  Tell us the converter manufacturer and model and we can verify that.  If you are on shore power, any amperage, leave the batteries connected and the AUX switch ON so all batteries remain charged.  If you are not on shore power, turn AUX  OFF so you do not drain the chassis battery with house usage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Latest member
Top Bottom