Problems with 2005 Tioga SL Onan generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danman2_2999

Last July I purchased an 05 Tioga SL and when the generator runs for a while, it starts to cut off and will have to be turned on again, which it starts right back up, and then about 5 minutes later turns off. Is anybody else having these problems? I ran it all day today and it worked fine for hours, so I didnt even end up going back to the dealer. It seems like maybe if there is a fuel pump problem when it gets hot or something, it isnt able to pump enough fuel so it turns off.

Id appreciate any feed back!!

Could be vapor lock from the fuel line being routed too close to heat producing engine parts or inadequate ventilation, or maybe the fuel filler cap is not functioning properly, creating a vacuum in the tank. Try loosening it a bit and see if that helps. Also make sure you have at least a 1/4 tank full of fuel. The pickup for the genset is set above the bottom of the tank so you won't accidentally run your rig dry and not have enough gas to get to a filling station.

Check the oil level in the genset too. Some generators have a low oil sensor and will shut down if the oil is a bit low.  "Foaming" of the oil can also cause a low oil shutdown. Foaming can occur when the oil level in the crankcase is just a little low or too high, or can be caused by contaminants in the oil, e.g. water.

Your Onan probably is still under the Onan warranty, even though the coach warranty may have experied, so you can get help from a dealer. You can also contact Onan directly - see http://www.onan.com/onan/askOnan/askOnanTopicHome.jsp?marketId=41

the only thing is that when just running the generator, it worked fine for hours....no problems. But when driving, the problem occurs. There is plenty of fuel in the tank..i will check the oil to maake sure there is adequate amouht.

Where is the fuel filler cap located at?

I was refering to the fuel filler for the whole rig. The genset draws it's fuel from the same tank as the engine. Remember what Gary said that too much is not good either, and check how the oil looks. If it has a milky appearance or is otherwise off-color, change it and the filter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom