Problems with appliances in slides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet in FL

Hi guys!

It's been a while again since I've posted, but I continue to do my research every day.  I have a question though.  On another message board, I read a couple of references to not wanting to buy a motorhome where the kitchen appliances were on the slide?  They didn't really mention what the problem was.  Can anyone enlighten me?  Is this something we should avoid?

By the way, I now see why everyone advises to do LOTS and LOTS of research.  My, how my choices have changed since we first started looking.  My short list now looks like this:

1)  Tiffin Allegro 28' or 30'
2)  Newmar Scottsdale
3)  National RV Surfside 29'

We've pretty much given up on the Class C idea completely.  They seem so claustrophobic after looking at the A's!  ;D

We have a kitchen slide (1997 Endeavor) and have had no problems with it since the first year.  Holiday Rambler did redo the hose fittings in the slide as a factory refit.  The technology for kitchen slideouts is quite mature and I don't see any more problems with them than with a fixed kitchen.  Holiday Rambler (now owned by Monaco) has a number of patents on the technology, everyone else had to develop it on their own after HR.

The preceived problem is weight, Stove, Fridge and such are HEAVY compared to an empty room or a convert-a-bed/couch.  The concern is that the extra weight will wear out the hardware faster.  I tend to agree

However, that said, There is something else to consider... Most RVers never replace the tires on their RIG.  I know this sounds odd, but the fact is that they replace the rig before the tires wear out.

So, if your slides wear out in 10 years with the kitchen there, and 20 without, and you sell the rig in 5, who cares?

Kitchen slide doesn't mean all the applicances are in the slide.  Our refrigerator is not in the slide, just the sink, stove, and couch.  There are multiple configurations and a good design will keep the weight balanced from side to side.

The only issue I know about with the appliances in the slide is with the refer.  Many in slides do not get enough cooling so fans are added.  the ones used may not be adequate in hot places like Phoenix etc.

Other than this cooling issue, I have no problem with them in the slide.  Of course none of mine are in a slide but that was just the way it worked out when SWMBOed decided on the floor plan.  VBG

Janet,

We have the galley slide in our American Dream. The only problem I have had is with the sink drain. It wasn't installed properly and finally wore a hole through the plastic hose. American Coach sent us a new one and I did a little modification to prevent further failure. Our refer is not in the slide but the stove, sink and microwave are.

Our 99 Eagle has a Kitchen slide that contains the sink, Stove, microwave.  Fridge is on the opposite side.  Have not had any problems with the slide or appliances.

The refrigerator and dinette are in the slide on our Winnebago. No problems so long as I remember that we'll lean a bit in that direction when I check the level.

Back
Top Bottom