Progressive Dynamics PD9200 Converter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dudlyjake

Well I'm back with a new problem. While camping all of a sudden my DC power doesn't want to work. At least most of it. My fridge and electric couch will work but the lights and control panel that the water pump is on doesn't seem to have power to it. The battery was dead when I got home. I fully charged it and still no lights or power to the panel.

Don’t the progressive dynamics have one or two fuses right on the converter? Check there first.

Ok on a Progressive 9200 there should be 2 or 3 fuses. they are on the outside of the converter housing near the connections for the 12 volt wires... UNPLUG from shore power before removal, replacement and testing fuses.. IF you can access them without removing the unit (I could not on my 9180 due to the way it was installed. no problem to remove it just a few screws_ you can test using a test light one side bright other dark = fuse blown. (NOTE disconnect batteries to test) but removal and both visual and ohmeter inspection is best.
My 9180 failed at 12.5 years the 9100 is basically the same as the 9100 but with the wizard built in (mine it was plugged in) Thankfully It failed the day before I headed south for the winter so Marshall, MI was only a few miles out of my way and both the removal and re-install took like 10 minutes each on my rig.

For the over nights I used a Deltran Battery Tender (Extra large) 2-20-70 amp
2 amp tender 20 amp; smart charger 70 amp; jump start_

If it's less than 10 PD may be willing to rebulid.. large lot beside the factory use the side Corner of Industrial and old US-27 Marshall, MI.

PD 9200 Troubleshooting manual, Troubleshooting Guides from Progressive Dynamics

PD Youtube video on troubleshooting,

PD5000-Access.png

You have some sort of power center with 120v AC circuit breakers, and 12v DC automotive type fuses, a dozen or so.

Charles

Great info from all. So far have checked all the breakers and fuses on the front panel. The odd thing is the couch and fridge still work on 12 volt but nothing else. I have someone lined up to check voltages etc. I'm wondering if their is a fuse I'm not seeing.

If one of the fuses on the 9200 itself was blown, there would be totally shut down - producing no 12v power at all.

You need to be looking at your power center, which should have several 12v fuses and maybe some 120v breakers too. Test each one carefully - can't always tell by eyeballing them. If not a blown fuse, then likely a loose wire on one or more branch circuits.

If one of the fuses on the 9200 itself was blown, there would be totally shut down - producing no 12v power at all.
Not true - the fuses are in parallel to get more current capacity than can be provided by a single ATC fuse. You have to blow both fuses for the output to shut down.

Problem solved. Checked all the fuses all good. Noticed the fridge, sofa, control panel and generator were all separately wired below the 12 volt fuses. Where they were connected to separate blocks their was a tiny reset button on each block. Pressed the reset voila! Missed this until now. Thanks very much for your input and advice. It's invaluable and kept me poking around until I figured it out. No idea what tripped it. Thanks again

Not true - the fuses are in parallel to get more current capacity than can be provided by a single ATC fuse. You have to blow both fuses for the output to shut down.
Interesting, Lou. The only one I ever disassembled (not a 9200) had two 30A fuses for polarity protection and did not appear to be parallel. The input was 30A/120v, so no reason to parallel for more amperage anyway. But I should not have assumed all others would be identical.

The polarity fuses have a combined rating (in parallel) higher than the maximum current the converter can put out. The only way they can blow is if the battery is hooked up backwards, which makes the converter look like a direct short to the battery voltage. Or if something inside the converter develops a hard short while the batteries are correctly connected.

This is interesting, learn something new everyday. I always wondered why two fuses that were rated less than the converter, now I understand that they are both on the positive side, it would take a larger configuration fuse to carry it all in one fuse and much heavier connections too.

Charles

Back
Top Bottom