Progressive RV Insurance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

We have received several insurance quotes,including several from those mentioned on this board. However Progressive has the lowest rates we found for RV specific coverage.
Anyone filed a claim with then with good results ?? Anything negative about them ?
Details, details....we take delivery on our new [and first] MH Friday. We have the PDI printed out, and a camper cover on order. Insurance seems to be the last detail.
Thanks for everyone's input.....

smokeater1 said:
We have received several insurance quotes,including several from those mentioned on this board. However Progressive has the lowest rates we found for RV specific coverage.
Anyone filed a claim with then with good results ?? Anything negative about them ?
Details, details....we take delivery on our new [and first] MH Friday. We have the PDI printed out, and a camper cover on order. Insurance seems to be the last detail.
Thanks for everyone's input.....

I think Ned can provide some input on their claims performance.

I don't recall having any claims with Progressive other than glass repair and we haven't been with them for several years.

Lorna just reminded me that we did have Progressive when we totalled our Ford Ranger.  We did receive a fair payout when they declared the truck a total loss.  We got close to the NADA retail value, more than we could have ever got on a tradein, and they even paid for the Blue Ox towing base plate.

Thanks for your info !  As expected, we ended up spending a bit more than the orignal plan, to buy an RV and at this point it's time to conserve a bit !

smokeater1 said:
Thanks for your info !  As expected, we ended up spending a bit more than the orignal plan, to buy an RV and at this point it's time to conserve a bit !

Smokeater

Get a quote from GMAC. The negative is you have to go thru Camping World for the quote, but I found them to be the lowest in my circumstances (your mileage may vary). GMAC's performance on claims has been excellent from my standpoint.

smokeater1 said:
Thanks for your info !? As expected, we ended up spending a bit more than the orignal plan, to buy an RV and at this point it's time to conserve a bit !

We have Progressive but haven't had any claims except for window chip repair. Road service is included with your policy. We used it this past summer and were not pleased with their responce. Use Coach Net for road service.

Ned said:
Lorna just reminded me that we did have Progressive when we totalled our Ford Ranger.? We did receive a fair payout when they declared the truck a total loss.? We got close to the NADA retail value, more than we could have ever got on a tradein, and they even paid for the Blue Ox towing base plate.

Was their adjustment prompt as suggested in their ads or was it slow to get settled?

Once the adjuster got from LA to Barstow, it was settled in a reasonable time.

I have had Progressive for many years but have only had one claim other then glass repair. Driving through New Mexico got sprayed by a gravel truck and had to have both windshields, and the front fiberglass cap replaced once I got the adjuster to look at it he had me take it to the repair shop of my choice and he authorized the repair on the spot. No hassles or arguments at all. I have shopped other Co's. at renewal time but have not found anyone realistically cheaper.

I am just finishing a 3 month experience with progressive claims service. Our m/h and toad were damaged near Butte on the way to Maine this summer. The driver's door of the toad had to be replaced to make the CRV usable for the rest of the trip. Progressive had two adjustors in Chicago, one for the CRV and another for the m/h.

I ended up paying $180 over the deductible for the temporary repairs on the CRV because the labor rate Progressive was willing to pay was $40.00 while the shop was $47.00 (I believe that is quite reasonable). Without telling me they also sent me a check for $2300.00 for the balance of the CRV repairs, much less than the guesstimate of the Chicago body shop.

When I got back to Washington another body shop gave me an estimate of $4975.00 to complete the repairs on the CRV so I called the local Progressive office and was told they would look at the car FOR ADDITIONAL DAMAGE after the shop started repairs. I refused to allow repairs to begin until we had agreed on what was to be done and what a fair cost would be. We basically were at an impasse until I started threatening and the body shop agreed to take the car without any agreement for repairs and called Progressive. After they met with Progressive the insurance company agreed to pay the $4900.00 bill.

In the meantime I got a repair estimate for the m/h from a good RV dealer here in the North Sound for an amount $90.00 less than what Progressive agreed to pay.

From discussions with three repair facilities, two auto and one RV I was told that Progressive is no State Farm, and that they always dot the "i's" and cross the "t's" with them before starting work. In the end I am satisfied with the work being done and the service on the RV was very good.

I cannot tell you I have a warm, fuzzy feeling about the process with the CRV. The impression I have is that Progressive hires a bunch of young, inexperienced, adjustors who do not have the authority to negotiate with a body shop to resolve any issues. They take digital pictures and a team leader in the office makes the final determination of what they will pay. When that happened in Chicago no one wanted to review that decision until they were forced to. Because of this I was forced to pay the $180.00 for the difference in labor rate and become confrontational to get the issue reviewed once we got back to Washington.

I can tell you it will become part of my evaluation of our next quote.

Thank you for your post. Interesting, so far Progressive has been the lowest quote we have, including GMAC. Maybe there is a reason for that !

Which raises the question ... is cost the only issue?

I would like to hear from forum members who pay a little more but who have goetten great coverage when they filed a claim.

I am currently with Progressive and I also do not feel good about it.

Progressive, Foremost and GMAC (through Camping World) are each very prominent RV insurers. Sometimes "biggest" isn't something that best serves an Insured. As an insurance broker, I've always attempted to "wed" my client to an insurer who will deliver what that client perceives a what he hopes to get. I honestly think that price is nice, but it's way down my list.

One of my closest friends operates a auto repair and RV repair shop as is a very articulate individual, that when the unit is done, it must meet his satisfaction, which in the highest I've ever seen.  He does many high classed classic autos, RVs, and Boats.  He absolutely refuses to work on units insured by Progressive for many resons afore mentioned.  Also they will not pay for any supplemental items that THEY over looked and very slow pay.  Sometimes even sending the repairer less than they agree to pay. The customer is responsible to pay the difference or have it improperly repaired.  His next door neighbor didn't believe him, until the son damaged the car.  Rude awakening and the man no longer has Progressive.  That's just 1 instance.  But as they say, to each his own and the next guy may be satisfied so who knows?  But I sure wouldn't have them.

BernieD said:
Smokeater

Get a quote from GMAC. The negative is you have to go thru Camping World for the quote

We got our GMAC policy from an independent broker in Sioux Falls, so I don't think you have to go through Camping World.
Gmac was much cheaper in SD than Progressive which we had in NH.

We had one claim while we were with Progressive and it was handled very well. I kissed the rear quarter panel on a parked pickup getting into a site and did $2800 in damages to it. Only $300 to my motorhome.
My next year rate went up about $1000 per year as I recall.

We have State Farm on our MH and the rest of our vehicles. $250 Deductible runs less than @600 a year and thats with 500T/1m liability and replacement costs. About the same as our other vehicles. We also put around 7K to 10K a yr on the MH. This works for us but may not work for others.  Thats why you have to continue to shop until you find what is best for you. Guess that's why they have so many different types, same as RVs.  Good luck and happy motoring.

Clay L said:
We got our GMAC policy from an independent broker in Sioux Falls, so I don't think you have to go through Camping World.

Clay

You don't have to go thru CW, as you know. It is just that when written thru CW there is an extra discount thrown in. Sorry I wasn't clear.

BernieD said:
Clay

You don't have to go thru CW, as you know. It is just that when written thru CW there is an extra discount thrown in. Sorry I wasn't clear.

When shopping for insurance a few years ago I was quoted a lower price for GMAC insurance without going through GS or CW than going through them. At the time the thought crossed my mind that maybe Affinity was just pocketing the difference.  Got a better deal through RV Alliance (now AON).  Of course not going with GMAC through GS or CW deprived me of more junk mail. ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom