Propane alarm sounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rachelteacher

Can anyone shed any light on this problem? I've only taken my new rv out three times but each time I set up, I turn on the propane, and the water heater. The water heater fires up (I can hear it) and starts heating the water. But within a few minutes, the gas alarm sounds.
I turn off the gas and wait a few minutes and repeat only to get the same results minutes later.
After a few hours though, I do it again and run the gas stove as well and everything works with no alarm.
Do I have a gas leak? What's going on. I'm reluctant to turn on the gas to cook or heat the water as I'm afraid I have a leak.
Although after the initial startup, I can seem to run the stove and heater with no alarm.
I have a kz sportsmen classic 19bh by the way.

How old is the alarm?? They do have a 'best before' date on them often stamped on the back and could become more sensitive with time. (You did say "a new RV" but....) A low 12V battery will also set them off with a beeping sound though, not usually a solid beeeeep. Where was the dog sleeping when it went off? They do react to gases other than propane. You can also check the water heater gas line connections and make sure they are tight.

Welcome to the RV Forum Rachelteacher

While is possible you have a leak. I would tend to think that you may have some blockage around the burner tube on your water heater.

Did you by chance have a window open nearby?

It would help in the future if you go into your profile and create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you.

If the unit is new, it could be fumes from a construction adhesive accumulating in the closed space. Air it out a little  and see if it helps.

Ernie

Depending on wind direction, it's possible that the wind is pushing some fumes into your rig -- I once had a trailer that way. Either a wind change or a reposition of the trailer cured the problem (until the next time the wind was wrong).

When you say you turn the Propane off. Do you flip the switch on the detector or do you turn off the tank valves.. In the first case I'd suspect the detector. in the 2nd Id suspect some explosive gas (Not necesarly but most likely Propane) 

Old alarms will Chirp.. But any explosive gas will make 'em scream. 

But if you are using an electric switch to "Turn off" the propane (And by the same switch the alarm) I'd suspect the alarm more than a leak. IF you are turning off at the tank. A leak.. IF teh Water heater is the only appliance that trips the alarm then that's where I'd start leak tracing. between the gas valve (Outside compartment) and the burner assembly.. also some suggestions about issues with the burner or heat path are good suspects.

Are you sure it?s the propane alarm... and not the carbon monoxide detector?  You would probably be smelling it if it?s  propane... but you would not be smelling CO

I smell gas when I only run the water heater when I first set up, but if I cook and run the water heater, there is no gas smell and no alarm.

Sounds possible.. But I'd have to have eyes on to say much more.

When I first got my RV the water heater often took 2 or 3 (or more) times to light on Gas if it was COLD.. Once I got it warm (By any means) it worked fine..  Eventually I put in a new control board and that fixed it (at least I think that fixed it) but that was due to another issue.

Now depending on where the heater is and how well it is sealed if it takes multiple re-light tries (Each Switch try is 3 relights) enough Propane could get in to beep the beeper and be smelled.

But I'd have to see it to figure out if that was even possible.. I'm not thrilled by this theory in any case. but it's the only thing I can think of.

Back
Top Bottom