Propane appliance problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monteroshane

I recently purchased a 2001 keystones cabana. It has a propane furnace, hot water heater, and refrigerator. None of these appliances will work. I replaced the propane regulator out by my tanks already. The gas range in the camper works well. Im not sure what to do from here. Can anyone help me out? 

Monteroshane said:
I recently purchased a 2001 keystones cabana. It has a propane furnace, hot water heater, and refrigerator. None of these appliances will work. I replaced the propane regulator out by my tanks already. The gas range in the camper works well. Im not sure what to do from here. Can anyone help me out?
Monteroshane
Are the propane furnace, the hot water heater, and the refrigerator getting the 12VDC power that they need to operate?

The camper is plugged into my house. I'm assuming it has a power converter. My water pump was replaced and works well as well as the microwave and air conditioner. I'm new at this so am I correct to assume it should have the power supply needed?

Welcome to the RV Forum Monteroshane

Mel s has asked a good question. With the stove top working you know your gas system is OK.

When you try to use the other appliances does the igniter tried to light?

My guess (and only a guess).  It requires a battery to be installed on that older unit. Can you borrow one from somewhere and try that.  Another option is, get your meter out and see if you are getting 12vDc at (let's pick the WH, it's easier)  Or, you could have a couple bad fuses? 

Tomorrow I will work on the situation some more. Thank you for all the feedback so far. I will update when I know more.

First though there are exceptions.  On most modern RV's (Modern = This Century) all the non-working stuff not only eats Gas but 12 volts DC as well.
The 12 volts runs a control board. Powers the Direct Spark Ignition and so on.

DO you have good 12 volts to all the above?????

Welcome to the Forum!

Even though the appliances run on propane, the 12VDC power is needed for control circuits.  The stove works, so you know the gas supply side is likely okay.  The pump running indicates you do have 12V power in the camper.  Most lights are also 12V.  However, you could have blown fuses not allowing things to run.  There may also be multiple fuses - one in the power panel, another on the appliance power control board.

One wild thought just struck!  In the gas line piping, is the stove the FIRST tee - closest to the tank and everything else is further downstream??  If so, it might be a plug of some sort AFTER the stove tee.

Ok so update. I have charged the battery on the camper. I checked every fuse and they are all good. Checked the outlet the fridge plugs into in the back of it and it is getting power. So I'm still at a loss as to why nothing is working.

The gas stove needs no power, but the rest of the appliances need 12 volt for the control circuits. The outlet for the fridge is 120 volt AC. It still needs 12 volt DC for the control circuit. You need to track down where you're losing 12 volt power.

If your fridge control panel on the front of the unit is not lighting up, probably no 12 volts. the control panel on the front of the fridge is usually powered by 12 volts. The 110 volt outlet only powers the heating element and will not operate the fridge by itself. It is quite possible the water heater and the fridge share a common 12 volt circuit which could be inactive. A fuse is the most likely cause but it could be something else. You should first try to locate the circuit fuse or fuses for the water heater and the fridge and if all looks good, check for 12 volts at the control boards. My guess is that once your control panel ( not control board) on the fridge lites up, 12 volts to the fridge is confirmed. What is the make and model of the fridge ?

Another possibility but unlikely is that you have 2 bad units caused probably by two bad control boards. This seems unlikely and really should not be considered until there is a confirmed 12 volts to each unit.

The water heater has a leak. So it wont ignite and it has a leak. I'm going to replace the entire unit. The water comes out of the bottom of the unit between the foam insulation and the wall. So after I replace it let's hope it works well. Now the fridge has to be fixed. I do not believe the fridge has any light source on the front of it. I have taken the front off and see no lights. It's an older unit so may be before they had lights.

That stinks. At least you will have a new and good hot water system. I am not familiar with that fridge. If there is a light inside the lower cabinet, that light should be 12 volts. It would be somewhere in the top of the lower compartment. Replacing the fridge with a RV type will be quite expensive. Get the model number of the unit and search for manuals. Hopefully you can fix it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom