Propane issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rutherford.ms

Montpelier or Surf City - it just depends!
Okay, here go again with the 1990 Fleetwood PA. I would suppose that my propane tank is now empty, not sure how you can really tell as the "dumb" panel indicates that it is full. But there's no heat available in the unit and I can't get the stove pilot to light either so I do believe it's empty. Where do most of you get yours refilled at? My propane supplier told me they could refill it on their next visit to my house, but that might be a while, so what would be the next best (cost) source for fuel? Also, my gas warning indicator never goes off if I turn it on, I am replacing it with a new one but is there anything that should be checked? From all indications there is no gas in the RV, the indicator thing has been doing this since I purchased the unit this past summer. Last, once the propane tank is refilled, do I need to cut the tank off to prevent use of it or does just shutting down the furnance and stove take care of it? Thanks for the help - again!

1.? The cheapest source would be your distributer.? Check with him if he retails at his yard, or, if not, who does he recommend.

2.? ?Have a manometer test run on your propane system.? If there is a tank leak that should spot it.? Any RV repair facility should be able to perform that.

3.? ?Get a propane sniffer to check on your propane alarm.? To see one example click HERE.

Also, my gas warning indicator never goes off if I turn it on, I am replacing it with a new one but is there anything that should be checked?

Why would it go off?  It's a leak detector, not a low propane warning system.  It "sniffs" for propane (and similar gases) in the air and sounds an alarm if it finds any.  And if you have a fixed tank in the RV, it is likely the LPG detector also shuts down the propane supply via a remote valve at the tank.  Some LPG detectors have a "test" position on the switch - see if yours does.

not sure how you can really tell as the "dumb" panel indicates that it is full.

Perhaps the LPG detector as shut off the supply, as mentioned above.  Usually there is an additional gauge right at the tank, a direct readout rather than a electrical remote. They are usually pretty accurate.

once the propane tank is refilled, do I need to cut the tank off to prevent use of it or does just shutting down the furnance and stove take care of it

There is no requirement to shut off the propane supply at the tank, but if you do not expect to use any LPG for several weeks it is always safer to shut it off, in the rare event of a leak somewhere in the pipes or appliance valves or even a fire in the RV. However, I almost never do that myself.

Here is a much less expensive source for a hand-held propane Leak Detector - only $27.56. The same place is also a good source if you really do need a new LPG alarm/detector system.

Gary,

My LP detector 'goes off', making a chirping sound for a minute or two, after shutting the switch off before refueling and then turning it back on. It sniffs the air before turning the gas valve back on again. Maybe that's what he's talking about?

That chirp every minute is normal when power is removed.

The literal meaning is "FEED ME, FEED ME, I'm running low on electricity and I need it to work properly"

It will also do that if the house battery goes dead I might add

NOTE, not all units will do this when you do the battery disconnect (They need power to make the chirp) A lot depends on your converter/charger... Mine stores a bunch of power and thus the detector will chirp

I know of others that have zero filtering on their output and OFF is OFF baby so there is nothing to chirp with

Right, it chirps till it runs out of power to chirp with, then it chirps again on power up to let you know it was powered down and when it's finished it's self test and when it turns the gas on.

Roamer? Maybe it's just me but I can't see a propane sniffer for the price you mentioned ... am I missing something?

am I missing something?

I guess so - it's right in the middle of the page if you take the link I posted. But maybe your browser isn't following the link quite right and gets dumped into some default page?

If that's it, go to www.rvupgrades.com and scan down the right side product list to "Propane Detectors" and click it.

I have one of the Pocket Air Check devices (a bit more expensive) but the cheap portable sniffer is there too.

:) Just a quick note on what happened with this issue. Had my supplier come out and top off the house and MH. They could only put one gallon in the MH, so replaced the gas detector and after it did it's little "beep-beep" thing for a minute or so, things started working okay. I think the old detector just failed, maybe into a fail-safe mode and cutoff the valve on the LP tank.

Back
Top Bottom