Propane knob stuck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kegan

I just purchased a 2008 Roadtrek Popular.  All is well except I can not get the knob to open the propane tank.  I just had it filled and the person filling it didn't want to mess with it.  Of course I don't want to take a wrench to it.  The propane place (a large U-Haul store) suggested I take it back to the dealer I bought it from; good idea except they are two states away.  Any how, any suggestions on how to get this knob to turn safely?  I was thinking about spraying it down with WD-40, but didn't want to go down that road with soliciting some advice.  Thanks in advance. 

Sorry not understanding this. If the tank was filled the valve had to be opened. Did the attendant over tighten it when done filling??

Garyi said:
Sorry not understanding this. If the tank was filled the valve had to be opened. Did the attendant over tighten it when done filling??

It's not clear to me whether the service valve or the fixed liquid level gauge ("spitter") valve is the one that's stuck. The service valve should be closed while filling, and the fixed liquid level gauge should be open, but the tank can be filled even if it isn't since the OPD valve should shut off the fill port at the 80% level anyway. Ideally, the OPD is just a backup to the fixed liquid level gauge though.

I had a ham handed Brother-in-Law that use to shut them off so tight that I had to use channel locks to open them. All Roadtreks propane valves I?ve seen are pretty accessible for pliers. Also, I believe a 8 or 9 mm 6 point socket ( forget which) will fit over stem if you remove handle. Handle is pot metal and breaks easily.

Garyi said:

You are thinking Luggable tanks..  Class A tanks have a fill port so you CLOSE the valve (or you are supposed to) before filling the tank.

Many of us aren't familiar with Roadtreks, so maybe Kegan could clarify exactly what valve can't be opened.  Is it a remote or on the tank itself?  Service (gas output) valve?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom