Propane question - searched but couldn't find

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

preciouspkgs

Ok, due to new job and lack of housing of any sort - especially pet friendly - in the area, I am looking at fulltiming with my kids and pets for 18 mo to 24 mo while a house is being built. The intention is to be stationary in a park in a travel trailer, but my question is (and it may be stupid but I am asking anyway) what do you do about refilling propane tanks? I don't want to have to tow the rig to a filling station weekly/monthly if at all possible.

Welcome to the forum. Contact one of the local gas companies and have them install a large propane tank. They’ll come and fill it when needed

I lived in my travel trailer several years off & on for work. Had 2 tanks that I could remove, never let more than one get low. In the winter it was a weekly trip to the propane place, even in California.
If you have good power, electric heaters help.

If your going to be stationary ask st the park. They usually have a gas supplier that comes by weekly and refill the tanks. When we lived one winter in the gorge we had a 25 gallon tank dropped and connected. The gas company filled it each week and left the bill in our mail box in the park office. No fuss, no muss

There are 2 types of Propane tanks common on RV's and a 3rd option for "Long term"
1: Luggable tanks.. Generally a trailer has two of these and an "Auto-change over" regulator.

How that works. There is a pre-regulator valve and it has an arrow that points either right or left. When it's pointing to the RIGHT you can shut off and remove the left tank to a refill station then re-connect the Left tank.... Open the valve and,,, assuming everything is workign right, it will draw off the RIGHT tank till that tank is empty.. Then the pressure gauge will drop to the RED and it will draw off the left tank.. Switch the arrow to the left. and pull the right tank to the refill.

Motor homes: Typically the tanks are bolted in place and you either need to drive to a refiller or in SOME cases they deliver... But you said TRAILER.

Long term option (Talk to park management first)
A much larger refillable tank from a Propane Delivery service. they can hook it up for you.

In our winter place, a gas company truck comes through every other Sunday.

1. The propane bottles on a trailer are portable, so you can just take them in for refills. Some campgrounds have their own propane service onsite.
  2. Some trailer parks and campgrounds have don't have their own propane service will have a vendor come by weekly and fill tanks at the site,
  3. In campgrounds that cater to long term residents like yourself, it is common to have a local propane service deliver a big tank (100-300 lbs) to the site and connect to the RV with a Tee into the gas line. The supplier refills the big tank as needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Winger84
Back
Top Bottom