Propane Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnie

I am not able to get a flow of gas to my fridge or furnace by turning on the gas switch in the coach or outside at the black/grey water bay.
I have been to two dealers who cannot tell me if it is the inside switch/fuse or something else that i have not thought of.
The frustration is bring the rig to a dealer they think they diagnose the problem order part come back for another day of standing around.
I am worried that if power goes out my  fridge will not go over to propane and that will be a smelly situation.
Any Suggestions? Oh and yes I have propane on board!!

Johnnie,
I assume your not getting any propane to the stove either.  Is that correct?  I'm sure you checked the valves on the propane tanks such that you're sure the full tank is open.  The only other thing I can think of is a defective regulator.
Jake

Thats right no flow to stove either. Would a bad regulator also stop the illumination of the switch for you to see that propane is on? I'm dumbfounded.

If the switch isn't lighting, it's possible that the remote controlled shutoff is bad.

On some rigs there is a safety cut off on the tank before the regulator that is operated by the LP GAS alarm inside the coach, if the alarm is deffective OR the wireing is deffective it is possible that said safety switch is ... Well... Switched, OFF and thus you have NO FLOW

There are several other issues as well..  Like the possiblity of a bad regulator.

This is one of those things where forum "Experts" can figure it out so fast, (hands on) that the dealer will wonder what hit him, however hands off it takes way too long to type

Which "propane switch" are you referring to?

Many rigs do not have a remote propane control - merely a switch that shows the current propane level on a gauge. Does your rig have a switch that actually turns the propane valve off/on? What make/model/year  coach do you have - someone here may have the same make & model.

The propane leak detector often has an emergency shutoff - if the detector senses propane it shuts off a remote valve and will have to be reset.  What make/model of LPG detector do you have?

There is always a manual valve on the tank - have you checked that nobody has turned it off without your knowledge?

Yes, a bad regulator can stop all LPG flow. A drop or two of water or oil from the bottom of the LPG tank can completely block the tiny orifices in the regulator.  You can turn the tank valve off and disconect the gas pipe from the output of the regulator and then carefully crack the tank valve open a bit to see if you get any gas flow. Be sure there is no potential source of a spark or flame nearby!!!. Or just buy a new regulator - they aren't real expensive.

Our Monaco has a propane switch in the propane bay. If I press the switch I can clearly hear the valve/solenoid actuate.

I have a 2005 Damon Tuscanny 40'DP. There is an actual switch located on the panel that houses all my other coach gauges(ie; water levell, battery charge, black and grey water levels and propane levels)

Johnnie, is that a switch to tell you how much propane is in the tank, or a switch to turn the propane supply on/off?

It is to turn on and off. Without this switch illuminated the propane will not flow to devices.

Back
Top Bottom