Propane system help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmacjr87

Good evening everyone,

need some help with my propane system. My 1992 Coleman popup has 2 lines, 1 for outdoor grill and 1 for heater/water heater. My camper also has 2 tanks. So looking at old setup, there is a 4 way adapter that has the 2 tanks going in the sides, the line going to the outdoor grill at top and then bottom screws into regulator and then line to heater comes out of the regulator. See picture attached. We are replacing all the hoses and the regulator with an automatic switching regulator. We feel like the outlet to the grill and heater both need to be after the regulator not the way it is set up currently. With that being said, I need to build a T at the outlet of regulator but not sure what kind of material for propane I need to use. Any advice on how to T the outlet to the 2 supply lines?

Attachments

• 043DB338-933B-4AFE-8907-1FB76A54CA69.jpeg
    043DB338-933B-4AFE-8907-1FB76A54CA69.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum.
The auto changeover regulator will have inlets on the sides to receive the two pigtails coming from the tanks.
As far as the outlet of the regulator, just go with brass. A close nipple coming out of the regulator then a “T” screwed onto the nipple. This will give you two outlets for you heater and grill. Keep in mind you will not need the current regulator you have on your grill right now.

We pulled out the hose for the grill and didn’t look like there was a regulator on it, just a piece that turned to shut off propane to the grill or you turned it like a hose to provide propane to the grill. I am actually planning on replacing the Coleman outside grill that came with it with a Blackstone griddle with a hose adapter so thought regulator at the beginning would be better than remembering to add regulator at the grill.

We feel like the outlet to the grill and heater both need to be after the regulator not the way it is set up currently.

Caution: There are two types of propane grills, one with its own internal regulator and requiring high pressure LP and one that expects that an external regulator is in use and only accepts low pressure (regulated pressure). If your grill currently works with high pressure (Tee before the regulator), you cannot move that Tee to after the regulator unless you get a different type of gas grill that can use regulated LP pressure.

If you're unfamiliar with propane gas systems please talk to a professional to get it set up correctly. Gary is right when he's talking about high pressure LP vs low pressure LP. If you don't know what you're doing at best you can have a low flame on your grill that doesn't cook very well, at worst there might explosions.

If it worked before then there is a regulator for the grill somewhere. It's probably guilt in somewhere where you don't easily see it. There has to be or the high pressure would have shot the flames out so high you'd have lost your eyebrows. LOL

If you move the line for the grill to after the regulator then it will likely stop working.

It was probably plumbed this way because most "accessories" (BBQ's, fireplaces, heaters) come with their own regulators and most people don't want to have to modify the propane plumbing on a new device before they use it.

Find out what pressure your Blackstone griddle needs.

Looking at the Blackstone griddle ad, I see that it has a built-in regulator and is designed to accept high pressure LP straight from the bottle or tank. That means high pressure so your tee must be before the regulator.

Looking at the Blackstone griddle ad, I see that it has a built-in regulator and is designed to accept high pressure LP straight from the bottle or tank. That means high pressure so your tee must be before the regulator.
The Blackstones I am familiar with and the two I own, all use EXTERNAL regulators. The 17 and 22 inch table top models (very popular for RV'ers) have an external pipe and mini regulator that a 1 lb bottle connects to. You can either use a high pressure line that has the proper end to mimic the 1 lb bottle, or you simply don't install the regulator and tubing and install an adapter and hose and run low pressure directly to the griddle.

My Post in another thread shows the two setups for Blackstone griddles I have encountered. Neither have internal regulators, so they can be supplied with low pressure gas from the RV.

Charles

Judging from the comments of others, apparently the "built-in regulator" is detachable. That's handy, allowing an external regulator to be used. In any case, moving the gas source from unregulated supply to a regulated one means a change on the grill side as well.

No argument - my choice of the term "built in" was a poor one. The regulator comes with the griddle and you can use it or an external one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom