Propane ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grassy

Folks,

All the lit I have read says that you are supposed to turn off your propane when on the road.

My fridge / freezer are only two way (I gather that trhis is the norm now) so I have to have an electrical connection or the propane on for them to work.

Is it ok to run with the proipane or does the truck, when attached to the trailer, act like an electric connection.

Thanks
ian,

Ian,

Most folks run with their refridgerator running on propane. We don't run ours that way, but it seems to be the norm. Be sure to turn off any propane appliance and ignition sources before entering a gas station. Also be advised that there are various tunnels that require you to turn the propane off before entering.

Our refrigerator automatically switches between 110VAC and propane, so we just let it run on propane while on the road.  We do turn it off when refueling.

Your truck won't supply the necessary 110VAC for the refrigerator so you will either run it on propane or turn it off while travelling.

Guys,
I am about to put gas in my RV for the first time on my way home from the trip that I am on now (Class A '98 Allegro).  I didn't know that I was supposed to turn off the propane.  I will do that when I arrive at the gas station, but what will happen to the pilot lights on my refrigerator and hot water heater?  They are automatic (unlike my stove and oven).  Will they turn themselves back on when I turn the propane back on?  Should I pull away from the pumps first?  Should my generator also be off while taking fuel?  What else do I need to know about fueling my RV?
Thanks for the help!

Jozee

Shut off the applicances before approaching the pumps.  You don't have to turn off the propane at the tank, but make sure all the individual appliances are off.  When you leave the pump area, then turn them back on.  The pilot lights are automatic and they will light when needed.  Yes, your generator should also be off, as should your engine.  Of course, no smoking either :)  Some paranoids believe cell phones are a hazard, but that's not been proven.  Static from clothes rubbing on seat covers is another possible source of sparks, but not as big a problem with a motor home as with a car.

grassy said:
Folks,

All the lit I have read says that you are supposed to turn off your propane when on the road.

My fridge / freezer are only two way (I gather that trhis is the norm now) so I have to have an electrical connection or the propane on for them to work.

Is it ok to run with the proipane or does the truck, when attached to the trailer, act like an electric connection.

Thanks
ian,

Actually, the frdge cools faster on propane. ? Running on propane draws a bit on the batteries -- especially if you run the fridge on a dry-wall setting as I did one night at Quartizite. ? Batteries lasted till 3am -- I believe that is the standard time for such consequences to arrive on the scene. ? :mad: ? ?However, you do not have to pull my stupid stunt -- just make sure that the dry wall switch is in the off position. ? All DC functions run from your batteries. ?If the truck is running its alternator is probably charging the battery. ?

If hook up are available as in an W&E site or a full hookup site, by all means run the fridge on AC. ?In fact, your fridge is likely to have an automatic switchover -- read the manual. ? ?Propane you pay for. ?Shore power is included in the cost of your campsite. ?Do the math. ? ;)

Carl Lundquist said:
  Batteries lasted till 3am -- I believe that is the standard time for such consequences to arrive on the scene.  :mad: 

Seems to be when mine give out if running just the primary batteries

(When I split the load and put the house "Factory" stuff on the wet cells and the Inverter on the AGM's they hang in there all night)

John In Detroit said:
Seems to be when mine give out if running just the primary batteries

(When I split the load and put the house "Factory" stuff on the wet cells and the Inverter on the AGM's they hang in there all night)

This is trailer country.  All our batteries are house batteries.  The others are on the tow vehicle.  Our refers run on propane + 12VDC  or  120VAC shorepower (no propane).    Our reefers give us a choice of one or the other.

On this topic...
How long should you be able to run a fridge on a 15 gallon tank?
Not sure of fridge cubit feet.... but it is a two door (fridge/freezer) about 5 ft x 2ft....

I would guess a month or more on 15 gallons.  A refrigerator doesn't use much propane unless you're in really hot weather and it gets full sun all day.

Howdy, Carl.

- especially if you run the fridge on a dry-wall setting as I did one night at Quartizite.  Batteries lasted till 3am -- I believe that is the standard time for such consequences to arrive on the scene.  Angry    However, you do not have to pull my stupid stunt -- just make sure that the dry wall switch is in the off position.

What is a "dry-wall setting"? 

Thanks,
Liz

Jackliz said:
What is a "dry-wall setting"? 
Thanks,
Liz
\

It's the switch inside the reefer that prevents condensation. On mine it's on the inside top.

Jackliz said:
Howdy, Carl.

- especially if you run the fridge on a dry-wall setting as I did one night at Quartizite.? ?Batteries lasted till 3am -- I believe that is the standard time for such consequences to arrive on the scene.? ?Angry? ? However, you do not have to pull my stupid stunt -- just make sure that the dry wall switch is in the off position.

What is a "dry-wall setting"??

Thanks,
Liz

Whut Bruce said.

BruceinFL said:
\

It's the switch inside the reefer that prevents condensation. On mine it's on the inside top.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. OK, we got one of those. Learning something new every day.  ;D  ;D

Thanks Bruce and Carl.

We bought an unregistered 2002 last fall w/o manuals.

I thought that switch was to turn on the freezer..guess I am wrong.

Many thanks for the advice !

Ian.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom