Proper height for MH stone guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doodle

Hi everyone. After enjoying our 2012 tiffin allegro RED for the past 3 years, we are now setting up the dinghy connection to tow my 2017 ford edge sport. I have spent many hours reading past posts about how to best protect the toad from damage, and I think we will be investing in a protect-a-tow and a windshield cover. Our MH does have the tiffin stone guard across the back behind the rear tires, and I?ve read the many posts that say they can do more harm than good especially if mounted too low. However, as far as I?ve been able to read, no one has defined what the proper height should be to prevent damage. Can anyone comment on this?  How far should the bottom edge be from the ground?  (Some people said it can make a difference if you have a tag axle or not...we do not). Second question....would it be overkill to also add traditional mud flaps behind the rear tires?  My thinking is, the more barriers we put in place, the less that will get through. I did also have the 3M protective shield intalled on the front end when I bought my car. Thanks so much for any insights! 

The proper height for mine was determined to be about six inches below the top lid on the dumpster I deposited it in!

Ernie

We have tried the brush type and then the solid one.  The best I could come up with was to remove anything that hung from the back of the MH and just have the flaps right behind the rear tires.  After I did this we towed 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees for over 10 years with no discernible damage from being towed.  I did have damage from rocks from oncoming vehicles but not while being towed.

I too removed the flap at the rear of the MH. Installed some heavy duty semi truck flaps just behind the rear wheels. Towed a Ford Ranger for close to 10 years with no damage from towing.

The rear guard is advertising and that's it. We had a semi loose a cap and couldn't miss it. We stradled it but the rear flap ripped off one side and was dragging under the Jeep. I have tried all diddrent kinds over the years. Mudflaps are probably the best. We have replaced on windshield due to pittng and two headlights. The Jeep has been towed close to 20k miles. There is no way to completely protect it.

I?ve had a different experience with mine. I have mud flaps and a rear guard and not had a problem. No dings on the toad. On our way back to Florida a couple of weeks ago, the class C in front of ours ran over a road gator and it took out the the break-away cable of his toad. The front breaks of the toad locked up and we?re smoking. I couldn?t avoid the gator and also ran over it, but had no problems. We both stopped at the rest area to check out our vehicles. He came over and asked me to look at his car, that?s how I know about the breaks smoking. Right now my rig is jacked up to be level, so not positive, but I think my rear guard is about six to eight inches off the ground.

I don't know that the rear guards actually do any worthwhile guarding of the toad, but you definitely don't want them low enough to stir up gravel or small debris that may be lying in the road.  I'd say 5-6" off the pavement when the coach is on level surface and fully aired up.  It can still drag on uneven roads, though.

If you want maximum toad protection, rely on an add-on shield over the tow bar or mounted in front of the grill.  Or a full bra on the toad (including the windshield if you travel on gravel very often).

Thank you everyone for your replies!  Just for the fun of it we called Tiffin to ask what they say is the "proper" height for the stone guard when they install it at the factory (ours was done after by our dealership).  Tiffin says bottom of guard 2-3 inches from the ground with air bags fully inflated.  I'm no expert, but that seems pretty low and perhaps why so many have experienced problems.  Our rig is in the shop for the dinghy connection so I can't go out and look at it, but I'm quite sure ours in higher than that....like in the 5-6 inch range.  Either way, we'll check it when we get it home and decide what to do with it.  Per many of this groups suggestions, we are also going to put mudflaps directly behind the rear tires and have already ordered the protect-a-tow for the hitch.  Think I'll look at a guard for the windshield too.  Maybe overkill but I like my car.  :)

Back
Top Bottom