Property tax on motorhomes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joenew61

We are currently in the process of buying our first motorhome, and have been running the numbers on annual costs. We live in Connecticut, which levies a property tax on cars and other motor vehicles. I haven't been able to get anything definitive online on whether that tax is also applied to motorhomes. I'll call the tax assessor to see what the story is this week, but if there is anyone in Connecticut that has a motorhome and has any knowledge of that, I'd appreciate it.

Also, in the event that there is a tax levied, does anyone know what the options are for establishing residency and registration in another state? We are close to the NY state border, and they generally don't charge property tax on motor vehicles. We are looking at Super Cs, and still haven't determined whether we will keep it at our residence or at a storage facility, so having it housed in NY when not in use might be the way we go. I also have an adult daughter that lives in NY State, so joint title might also make that option a little easier.

If there is anyone that has dealt with this situation in the past, I'd really appreciate any insight!

Thanks,

Joe

I used to live in milford ct yes they tax my coach like my cars they did brake up the payments. Guess what I now live in Tenn has a wheel tax 25.00 in area I live and registration total 48.00 that's why I live here. No inspection's. yep do-able compared to CT.

Look into a LLC in the State of Montana. Many here in Arizona have their motorhomes under a LLC in Montana. No sales tax and property tax is very low.

Montana LLC

NY has 8 % sales tax at registration. Better check with your State Connecticut on how they deal with out of state stuff for residents. NY would get me for tax evasion if I went the Montana LLC route.
Simple question- are you changing residency? If your primary goal is to avoid tax then likely it's wrong.
We are considering giving up our NY home and residency and going full time. Will decide on which state is the best deal as far as taxes go.

NY has 8 % sales tax at registration. Better check with your State Connecticut on how they deal with out of state stuff for residents. NY would get me for tax evasion if I went the Montana LLC route.
Simple question- are you changing residency? If your primary goal is to avoid tax then likely it's wrong.
We are considering giving up our NY home and residency and going full time. Will decide on which state is the best deal as far as taxes go.

For now, we are keeping our home in Connecticut, since we have deep family roots here, and plan to be on the road 3-4 months a year. If I can convince my wife, I'd prefer to sell our CT home and buy a home in Florida for our primary residence. We are boaters too, so that complicates things a bit as well. We have a few hurdles to get through before committing to full time RV. I just hate to have to pay 5k+ a year in property taxes on top of what we are paying on the house and cars.

Look into a LLC in the State of Montana. Many here in Arizona have their motorhomes under a LLC in Montana. No sales tax and property tax is very low.

Montana LLC
That is also a potential recipe for getting in trouble with the state. Colorado (and a number of other states) is aware of this ploy, actively hunts for such people, and has caught many folks who wind up with large fines plus having to pay the CO sales tax anyway, at the least.

You will definitely pay annual property on a motorhome in Connecticut, based on the local mill rate. That’s on top of the 7.75% luxury sales tax paid when purchasing the vehicle.

On the land that is not theirs?

-Don- Reno, NV
The vehicle is taxed independently of whatever property it happens to be sitting on. Properly tax is paid to the municipality where the vehicle is kept (the state calls it garaged) for more than six months a year.

IN most states vehicles are vehicles. so if they "Tax" your car as property,, Same for the RV/Motorhome.

NOW... IN my state.. The Vehicle registration fee is based on the vehicle value and thus by definition a property tax (This was argued loud and long in court because that means the fee is deductible, a "Registration Fee based on vehicle weight would not be tax deductible but a "property tax" based on the sticker price... is tax deductible on your income tax or so the court decided IN MICHIGAN.. How that applies to you I do not know. )

IN most states vehicles are vehicles. so if they "Tax" your car as property,, Same for the RV/NOW... IN my state.. The Vehicle registration fee is based on the vehicle value and thus by definition a property tax (This was argued loud and long in court because that means the fee is deductible, a "Registration Fee based on vehicle weight would not be tax deductible but a "property tax" based on the sticker price... is tax deductible on your income tax or so the court decided IN MICHIGAN.. How that applies to you I do not know. )
Connecticut property tax is potentially deductible, but not registration fees.

Another time I am glad I live in Louisiana, $25 per year registration, and no property tax on vehicles, though they do get you with 9.5% sales/use tax each time a vehicle is sold or brought into the state.

NY state doesn't have a lot of things to recommend it, but vehicle fees are one of them. There are no real property or wheel taxes on RV's, or any OTR vehicles for that matter. And the weight based vehicle registration fee maxes out at $70/year payable every two years for motorhomes.

Wow thats so crazy. Here in Alberta $110 one time reg fee if your getting a new plate $25 if just transfering from one unit to another. 5% tax on new units 1 time tax no tax on used units. No tax on parking it unless you own the lot then there is a property tax on the lot only but its less than 1% ie $30000 lot taxes would be less than $300

Interesting points regarding taxes, the money collected to provide the municipal services most would call necessary such as public safety (police, fire), roads, water, sewer, public schools, etc. A few years ago a debate occurred here in Maine regarding a tax plan that increased the income tax rates for residents in the higher income levels that was dedicated to help fund public education. Resident and author Stephen King was very vocal about the fact that he had no problem with that plan as he articulated that he believed he and others who had higher income levels should pay at a higher percentage.

Excise tax applied to annual vehicle registration fees in Maine is based on the MSRP of the registered vehicle. We purchased our TT for less than the MSRP but paid excise tax at the MSRP. I was aware of the annual excise tax but did not consciously think about the difference when we purchased under the MSRP. My point is similar to Stephen King, the structure of the excise tax is such that is applied in a way that those with a greater capacity to pay are taxed more. The Maine excise tax reduces to a lower percentage each year so that it flattens after 4 years of age on the vehicle. I could have purchased a used TT if I decided I did not/could not afford the tax. The one time sales tax on vehicles follows a similar philosophy. Both taxes are one of the reasons I do choose to purchase used vehicles.

Similarly, It amuses me when I hear residents complain their local property taxes increased after they have made additions or upgrades to their property that increased the value.

Thanks all for the information. I figured I would have to pay the luxury tax surcharge (6.35% to 7.75%), and that didn't bother me so much, since it is one and done. The Montana LLC option is probably a little too risky, given what I know about Connecticut's overall tax "culture".

I think the only option that might work would be if I could have it titled and registered in my daughter's name (I assume the registrant has to be the same as one of the title-holders?), but I just need to see if I could do that if the loan is in my name, and would need to find a storage facility in NY state. Depending on where I end up in terms of price point, I could pay cash, but I would prefer not to tie up so much of my post-retirement liquid funds that way.

Arkansas, personal property tax on the coach AND the Jeep...$125/year(more or less)
License tag for the Jeep(Viet Nam Vet Tag)...$6/year
License tag for the 37' motor home...$35/year.

Add to that the $100/year I give my friend to let me use his address(and to pay postage when there's something to forward).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom