Pros and Cons of RV Cover use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tallulah

I'm sure someone out there in our RV Forum world has experience with RV cover use for winter or long term storage.  We are thinking of purchasing a cover for our rig, but want to find out what others have experienced to help us make the decision.  Once again, this is the best bunch of adivors in the RV community...a little odd at times (kinda like Click and Clack in the automotive world), but still the best...!

I'm hoping to see more replies to this question. We bought a cover for our RV since this is our first winter with it and it sits outside. My hubby said it's already ripping in a spot here and there where it sits on corners. We were so careful when putting it on, but I now know why they had the repair kits all over the place at the store. I don't recall the brand, but I do remember it was not the lowest-end product. If I find the mfg I will repost.

Alisa from Seattle

Another love-hate relationship but I will put in my $.02 worth.  We love ours!  Have had our ADCO Tyvek for 2 years now and we are convinced the RV stays cooler in the summer and since we live on dirt streets and park it under an Oak tree here in our place in urban America, cleaner.  Putting it on and taking it off yourself can generate a few choice words now and then but it is easier as a two-person job as one can stand below and make sure it doesn't get stuck on a corner or mirror when removing.  I don't think any cover will withstand sharp corners for too long of a period of time and we soften the back corners with foam to ensure our cover has a longer life span.  We got a couple of holes due to operator error (another story there but not recommended that you run propane appliances while covered  :eek: ???) but ADCO provided additional patch material w/o any questions asked.

Scroll up and click the "Search" link near the top left of this page, and type in "RV cover" ... there are dozens of past threads on this topic.  General consensus is that you don't need an RV cover in most situations, but there are others who swear by them.

I did some more checking online (google: pros and cons of using an RV cover for storage) and found some old post on this forum from June of 2009.  Also, found other forums with discussion on the subject...AND it appears it is a love/hate relationship, plus it seems the area of the country where you store has alot to do with the decision.  I am most concerned with my paint getting buffed by the wind here in the sowthwest causing the material flap against the roof and sides.  Trapping moisture and causing mildew isn't much of an issue here either. 
Sooo....if there are anymore experiences I'd like to hear them.

Thanks

Pain in the rear end to install and remove.  Next to impossible to access trailer when its on. Costly fix to a questionable problem.

After not too much consideration and review of numerous posts, I agree it seems to be "a costly fix to questionable problem"....!  Think I'll see how she does this winter w/o a cover.  Thanks again.

Cant stand covers, used one on my boat for years and had one trouble after another. The MH being way more expensive is different story. Still won't use a cover but did put up a 41' carport. If you have the room it is the best option, just a little more money. JMO

Tallulah said:
Think I'll see how she does this winter w/o a cover. 

We've stored our motorhome in Northern Illinois through 9 winters, uncovered. Never had a problem. Just be sure your caulking is in good condition at beginning and end of storage time.

A possible 12 foot fall off the roof isn't worth it for me, especially at
my age.
I've covered many a car in my life and that at times was  difficult for
one person in various weather conditions. 

Best wishes

Being a little more specific, if you are just worried about leaks, etc then storing outside with no protection is probably fine. I would prefer nothing rather than wrestling a cover etc.
The reason I chose a carport was because I had the room and for less that $6k I could enclose the entire MH. Not much $ when considering the cost of purchasing the MH. My MH paint is in great shape and I want to keep it that way. Makes it nice for servicing also.

Now if you lived in southern Ca, then you wouldn't have to worry about storing your rig for the winter.  ;)  Today we were in the mid 80s. Sorry just had to rub it in.  LOL  8)

Back
Top Bottom